Different Types of Bristlenose Plecos??

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
Hey everyone. Got a couple of questions regarding Bristlenose Plecos. I picked up an Albino, or Yellow Bristlenose about 6 months ago from the LFS and have not had a single issue with this fish. He's in a 29G Bowfront with a Fluval 405 for Filtration. Water temp sits at about 78-80* He has access to Drift wood and an abundance of Algae. In addition I throw in an occasional piece of Cucumber. Water parameters are always 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 5-10 Nitrate. This tank was being used as my Convict Grow out tank.

About 6 weeks ago I was at the LFS and seen a Black Bristlenose Pleco for a decent price with 75% off because of a store wide sale they were having so I picked him up. Brought him home and put him into a 5 gallon bucket and set up a drip line from the 29G tank. And hour later he was introduced into the main tank. He seemed fine through the evening and I found him dead in the AM. Took him back to the LFS and they handed me another one after testing my water.

Introduced the second one in the same manner and he's been fine until this AM. I did a gravel vac and water change yesterday, found him dead this AM. Meanwhile the Yellow Bristlenose seems just fine. Water params are good.

Now my questions.

1: The Yellow BN seems thinner in the body. More streamlined then the black BN was. The black BN was wide in the body by almost double. But the same length as the Yellow. Are these two different types of fish? Different Sexes?

2: How frail have you guys found BN Plecos to be in regards to water changes, Temp, etc.

3: Any advice you could give on the care of BN Plecos in general that may help me keep more then one in the tank over a longer period of time then a month? As I said above I was under the impression I had them figured out with the Yellow one doing as well as he is. But after losing 2 Black BN I'm and concerned.

Thanks
Mike

PIE.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2011
New Jersey
1. Don't really know, but your black BN could be a different species? Not to sure.

2. BNs and most hardy plecos aren't too sensitive to water changes, etc. However, they are still fishes and water quality will impact them. Your water parameters seem fine though.

3. BNs prefer low nitrates, which you have. Make sure you have lots of hiding places. Zucchini is alos another good food. Another good food to try are wafers, New Life Spectrum makes quality wafers, though they are a bit more expensive.

Maybe you just got a bad batch of BNs.

Hope this helps and have a happy new year!

carlj007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2011
st.albans
Is there a major size difference between the plecs and the larger one is just stressing the new 1 once the lights go off and they are more active....... Just an idea...

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
When I buy plecos I do not do a water change for 1 week. After I went to that method the mysterious deaths stopped.

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
Ok, will take the advice on the water change. As for the size difference the one that died was Bulkier then the the other, But both were the same length...

Mike

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
there were something wrong with the black ones. The bn plecos are very hardy and should of been fine in your tank. The yellow (albino) is just a variant of the black ones, Males have the spikes on the nose and the female do not. I would go somewhere else and pickup a black one if that is what you want.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store