Differently sized pond stocking ideas

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
Its an above ground pond.
Sorry I can't post pics as it is a complete mess I had to cover all sides of my pond with sheets as my green terror jumped out of the tank. (I am glad that I saw him he was very dry when I picked him up but now I think he's okay).

That sucks but good save.
I had a breeding pair of rivultatus aka common green terror back in the 90s and I came downstairs to my fish room and found her on the floor. I was heartbroken.

A month ago I had my Oscar out in a 180 vat for a week while I was getting a glass tank set up for him in the carport. I was drinking a couple beers with my buddy when I heard a commotion by the vats- I looked over and saw something flopping. I rinsed the grass off him with a hose and put him back in pretty sure he was trying to catch a dragonfly when he bailed out. That fish looks like crap. He’s had a long couple months at this point- but he’s still a hooligan

Lately I had a dozen coeruleupunctatus and lost 2 jumpers and 2 when the water dropped to 50 degrees for a few days. The one spawn I know I had got eaten when I didn’t pull it. That vat is blooming green right now but I hope there’s another spawn or two going now.

Terror fanboii 1

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2019
I was searching about how to keep SA/CA cichlid together.
So I found out that to not keep any hiding spots in the pond/tank. So they don't make a territory and fight for it aggressively. So I removed the hiding spots, but now they are just hiding in the corners. Is removing hiding spots a good choice?

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
I’d say that’s a bad idea. It’s tough to see but at each end and then offset from each other on the sides in the middle I have structure. This is a 180 with a pair of jack Dempseys. It had a male Nicaraguan and an Oscar odd couple for a while too- the 2 fish ignored each other due primarily to there totally different habits. Mic was always looking down sifting and the Oscar was always looking up for his next meal.

B52B3F93-6DA8-488B-B3E6-EA6331342C6E.jpeg

Your fish are going to hide. You can add more structure and floating plants so they feel as though they are hiding when they are “out”. The more comfortable the fish are the more they will act like you want them too. Keeping them spooked in a corner will curb aggression but it’s also not much fun to see/watch

Terror fanboii 1

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2019
Thank you for replying

I added 5 hiding spots for them today as I also thought that removing hiding spots from the pond is not doing them any good.
There are 7 fake plants in it too, but today they were moved by them (most probably by the carpintis). Should I place the plants in the original position again or should I let them do their thing?

I also saw them today out from their hidding spots during feeding time only green terror ate a little and carpintis was mostly chasing the green terror but carpintis was not chasing him aggressively nor did he bit him.
Is this a good sign or a bad sign?

Reactions: C. Breeze
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store