Dimidiochromis Strigatus?? Female with blue face?

Adam GR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2018
Jersey, Channel Islands
Hi
Here is my fish, its about a 5in long and my guess is - Dimid Strigatus. This fish is in my 5ft 125g “All male” peacock/hap tank with fully grown other males.
989A5B10-1FD8-4441-990D-5EC5B95ACEFA.jpeg
It looks like Female to me and few days ago I saw something what internet describes as “elongated egg tube” (part of genitals was not normally large??‍♂)
But surprisingly at some angles I can see a little blue on the face and there are some red scales behind the gills which could indicate a male. Here is a nicely timed shot.
C2D2B064-24FE-43E6-86E1-2D0976AA45BA.jpeg165A2B39-B3B9-4155-B5A8-7711C2F89E29.jpeg
Is there any chance this fish could be a male? Or maybe strigatus females could have a little blue colour on face?

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although it seems to have both female and male characteristics, since the tank is all male, this could be a male in submissive coloration, because its at, or near the bottom of the male hierarchy.
Often submissive males show less blue, and no egg spots on the anal fin.
I have never seen blue on females, that said, never say never.

GVerde

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
Chicago
Looks like a subdominant male. Females will have no blue in the face or body at all. You will know for sure once it grows a inch or two more.

Reactions: Adam GR

Adam GR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2018
Jersey, Channel Islands
Although it seems to have both female and male characteristics, since the tank is all male, this could be a male in submissive coloration, because its at, or near the bottom of the male hierarchy.
Often submissive males show less blue, and no egg spots on the anal fin.
I have never seen blue on females, that said, never say never.
Well lets have hopes then.
Just this enlarged genitals for few hours are suspicious for me. Are there any instances when males genitals could get bigger then usually?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store