DISAPPEARING ACT HAS BEGUN

NCTRNL

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2020
The disappearing act has begun... Came home to find one of my dats missing. Didn’t take long to figure out who’s the magician here ?

vincentwugwg vincentwugwg you jinxed me bro and it ended up happening Lol ?‍♂

F4AA9A54-0BF7-4843-8196-6501BE2C1214.png

NCTRNL

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2020
I usually don't like saying... ' I told you so' hahaha
What’s crazy is it ate one of the medium dats in the tank that didn’t look like it would remotely fit in the gars mouth. And so that means the two smaller ones are definitely in danger now lol

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
What’s crazy is it ate one of the medium dats in the tank that didn’t look like it would remotely fit in the gars mouth. And so that means the two smaller ones are definitely in danger now lol
Looks like you have one of those gars that will taste test everything.. even if it cant eat it, the damage from the taste testing will usually result in severe injuries or death to the intended prey. And from my experience, you can have a pretty good idea how big a particular alligator gar will grow to from looking at their snout/nose. The longer the snout the faster and bigger it will get. The ones with the shorter snouts seem to max out at a smaller size.
According to my theory, the one you posted will get to 3ft fairly quickly (since it has a shorter snout) and then it will slow down. Meaning it will max out smaller than the average gator gar.

NCTRNL

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2020
Looks like you have one of those gars that will taste test everything.. even if it cant eat it, the damage from the taste testing will usually result in severe injuries or death to the intended prey. And from my experience, you can have a pretty good idea how big a particular alligator gar will grow to from looking at their snout/nose. The longer the snout the faster and bigger it will get. The ones with the shorter snouts seem to max out at a smaller size.
According to my theory, the one you posted will get to 3ft fairly quickly (since it has a shorter snout) and then it will slow down. Meaning it will max out smaller than the average gator gar.
Good to know ! I actually picked this one out of 5 from my LFS cause it was shorter body and shorter snout. So hopefully your theory pans out correct as 3ft doesn’t sound so bad compared to something bigger. I got this guy around 6” and in under 2months is almost 8” now. ?

My previous platinum alligator gar that jumped out months before I got this one was a lot longer snout and longer body style. When I got that one it was 9” and quickly grew to 16” in the months I had it. Believe it or not it was actually way more chill than this new guy that’s been proving out to be a monster. And actually didn’t bother any of its tank mates all the months I had it. Was kinda always a timid fish while this new ones real bold and will even chase my finger in front of the glass. ?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: vincentwugwg
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store