Discus breeding

netty-ray

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
uk
Thats awesome if you got your discus to breed
They ate there eggs but I expected it because it's there first brood and their in my main aquarium,but I'm moving them into their own tank today, it will probably put them off for a bit,but I will let you know how it goes if your interested. Thanks Ray.

Reactions: tlindsey

netty-ray

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
uk
Iv got a problem, I've got a few different types of discus, the problem I've got is that the pair that bread are red discus and I carnt remember witch two it was I've got 3 reds.

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
Put them all in the other tank. It will become clear right away which two are the pair. Just remove the extras.

Sometimes folks leave a third fish in there to trigger the other fish to spawn. Nothing like someone else making a pass at your spouse to make you appreciate them a little more, lol. If you do leave a third fish, you have to watch it because they can get beat up pretty quickly.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

netty-ray

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
uk
Put them all in the other tank. It will become clear right away which two are the pair. Just remove the extras.

Sometimes folks leave a third fish in there to trigger the other fish to spawn. Nothing like someone else making a pass at your spouse to make you appreciate them a little more, lol. If you do leave a third fish, you have to watch it because they can get beat up pretty quickly.
Thanks m8,I've found out what two it was, I've been watching them and one of them stayed at the other end of the tank and the other two stayed together,so I put the pair that stayed together in their own tank. Thanks Ray.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Congratulations. Try to find a micro worm culture. It is a good supplement to the slime coat on the parents and fairly simple to maintain. Spawning is the easy part. Raising the fry is not guaranteed and time consuming. Good luck

netty-ray

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
uk
Will discus spawn again while they are rearing young or will they wait until they have finished rearing there first young? Thanks Ray.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
They will usually spawn a few weeks after their fry are large enough to fend for themselves, but in that time the parents will rear their current batch pretty exclusively
No need for microworms imo, the fry will be large enough to take frozen or dry food once they get off their parents' slime

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
Yay my discus have spawned again in their new tank.
Hey some one posted this thread, mind spawned for the first time butt plecos ate the eggs after 2 days of the parents being good parents. Just curious if you moved them into a 20 tall? Also was that after their first spawn in the main tank? Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store