Discus Craigslist Ad

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Well, you don't want a huge tank if you intend/trying to breed discuss, I've seen a private breeder keep their discus pair in 40B's (I actually worked for them when I was young during summer time), they are stacked 3x 40B per rack and they have like 4 racks in the small room due to limited spaces, all their discuss are healthy and very very high quality off spring.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

Yulli

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2016
looks like the Marlboro has quite a bit of peppering, which is a sign of stress while growing out. A year is plenty of time for discus to go from 3-4 inches to the mentioned 5-6 inches, along with the lack of mentioning the hardware looks like this person did a bit of research and then dove in buying 3 inch fish or so and letting them grow out. If they got them any bigger theres no way there even coming close to breaking even on the whole thing, and most people refuse to start below the break even line.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Haha, yeah I thought it was interesting they gave the measurement from the floor to the top of the tank.
I'm guessing they have only had them as long as they have had that aquarium. I too would question if that is really a breeding pair. And if they have spawned for that owner. Likely just something they were told and will pass onto the next person.
I keep seeing that on ads here too. Really annoying.

I hope those discus went to a good home at least!

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Yeah, people tend to overreact to tank size on here. If you're keeping up the water quality and the fish are healthy and growing, it's ok. Not ideal, but ok.
True to a point, there is enough anecdotal evidence on this site alone to point out that many species (parachromis for example) suffer stunting in small tanks even though they fit nicely when juveniles. Water quality is only a part of the picture, and since there seems to be enough people unable or unwilling to do what's needed to keep even the sturdiest of fish healthy we have to speak of fairly excessive minimums to make the best out of people's idea or practice of minimum maintenance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store