DISCUS HAVE SQUIGLIES

BASSTIAN182

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
NC
I woke up this morning to my 6.5in. Super Ring Pigeon and my 6.5 inch Blue Cobalt guarding the flower pot in the corner of the tank, and there are a group of little squiglies on the flower pot and the discus are attacking the glass violently when I walk up to the tank. There are currently 6 adult discus in the tank and I had no idea these two were a pair as they have been together for over a year and never appeared to be mates. I was not prepared for babies, but now that there here, I will have to deal with it. Anybody have advice and experience on what to do next?

Thanks J.B.

Lako

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
Texas
Congrats!

IIRC Don't separate the fry from the parents just yet. When they use up their egg yolks sac they will only feed off of the slime coating of the parent fish. After you notice them feeding off of other sources it's prob OK to separate them. That's as far reaching as my Discus breeding knowledge goes! GL and congrats again!

BASSTIAN182

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
NC
Right now they are swimming on top of the flower pot, and the parents take turns having there faces glued to the group. I am reading all over the place that the parents are going to eat them, that will suck, but I have to admit I cant imagine this pair would produce attractive offspring because they look so different!

Lako

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
Texas
Most parents (regardless of fish species) eat their first, sometimes even second, set of fry. Normal and natural. I'd be most stoked about having a pair!

Mokujin22

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2009
Gatihersburg, MD
If your aquascaping can handle it and you don't upset the parents too much, I'd put an eggcrate divider in the tank to keep the others from snacking. As mentioned above, the fry will need to feed off the parents' slime coat for a while before they accept other food sources. Once they start doing this, syphon them out and raise them separately.

Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store