Discus in Tap water

driftwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I've had Discus before and I know this question has been asked many times but I want to hear from folks that have successfully kept Discus in tap water. I'm thinking about giving them another shot and was going to use half RO and half tap with a bare bottom tank. I've been eying some Super Red Mellons on Aquabid and the seller assures me his are raised in tap water and Ro water would not be necessary. I had bad luck the last time I tried tap water so I'd really like some feed back on this issue. Thanks

eskimo

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
belgium , limburg
do not give them a bare tank , they wil be easy stressed .
give them sand and some high growing plants , veleseneria where they can swim under.

if you tap water is soft water and if the discus are bred on tapwater is shoud be fine greets

Reactions: DwarfCichlidLvr

Kogo

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
South Florida
i have a ten year old discus that was kept in tap water all its life and survived several hurricanes. he has a large tumor now and is loosing mass, but is still very active.

not an official recommendation, just a report of experience

HTH

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
What if your tap water is hard and has a high pH? I've heard that they can still be kept in these parameters? I've noticed the LFS around me that have the same water parameters as I do have discus and they appear to be doing fine. Is this misleading?

eskimo

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
belgium , limburg
then you have to get a sort of way to store some water ( how is depending on your tank , if shoud take a bout 2x water change storege )

and make the water good
hard and high ph is't good . bad start and they wil never be as atraktive and as healthy and as colorful

srr but it is so

ewok

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Undisclosed Location in SOCAL
i use only tap for my fish... they get no luxuries such as 'R/O' :D :D :D
but seriously though it very much depends on your water parameters. need to make sure that the water is close to what the discus were originally raised in so they don't get shocked or whatever when you introduce them.

you can gradually bring them to live off whatever tap waters you have over time.

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
driftwood;1907881; said:
I've had Discus before and I know this question has been asked many times but I want to hear from folks that have successfully kept Discus in tap water. I'm thinking about giving them another shot and was going to use half RO and half tap with a bare bottom tank. I've been eying some Super Red Mellons on Aquabid and the seller assures me his are raised in tap water and Ro water would not be necessary. I had bad luck the last time I tried tap water so I'd really like some feed back on this issue. Thanks
I've never used RO with Discus. Mine have always lived in non chlorinated water right out of the faucet. In fact, I have a very young pair with wrigglers right now. Unless your faucet spews out liquid rock, with a sky high PH, you should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store