Discus Nuchal Hump: Is it possible?

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
Sorry if this is a dumb question but has anyone ever heard of discus getting nuchal humps? I know it sounds weird because of the shape of discus but I'm curious so I just wanted to know.

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
Some discus do have a slight hump on their head. Had a few before that had it. It looks nice if it flows with the body shape. Had one that had a slight hump but it didn aligned to good with the fins

Reactions: Cichlids keeper

babers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
WI
Some do have a hump. Some more pronounced than others. Most of the discus that have a hump are males....keyword is MOST

babers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
WI
Dont keep discus at the moment. But here’s one I found online.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I've seen or had what I'd describe more as a prominent forehead slope in most cases. Occasionally it's what you could describe as a slight bump if you wanted to. Or it can be a sort of notch, as in some angelfish. In some older males it may become more noticeable, still nothing like the bulging humps of some cichlids. If you ever saw that in a discus it would be an abnormal growth and you'd worry about the fish.

A vertical forehead profile is one thing, or a slight change in slope nearing the dorsal fin, but an overly notchy head would be considered undesirable by any of the discus people I've known. Sometimes an underfed or emaciated individual has a notchy looking head that goes away with better health and feeding.

It's easy enough to google "discus fish" and see loads of photos.

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
I've seen or had what I'd describe more as a prominent forehead slope in most cases. Occasionally it's what you could describe as a slight bump if you wanted to. Or it can be a sort of notch, as in some angelfish. In some older males it may become more noticeable, still nothing like the bulging humps of some cichlids. If you ever saw that in a discus it would be an abnormal growth and you'd worry about the fish.

A vertical forehead profile is one thing, or a slight change in slope nearing the dorsal fin, but an overly notchy head would be considered undesirable by any of the discus people I've known. Sometimes an underfed or emaciated individual has a notchy looking head that goes away with better health and feeding.

It's easy enough to google "discus fish" and see loads of photos.
Yeah now that I saw that other picture above where I was specifically looking for it I've started to notice it on pictures.

Reactions: neutrino
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store