Discus tank

KBMack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2015
United Kingdom
Hi, I was thinking about turning my 2ft cube into a discus tank and was wondering what I could get away with in it. I know some of them only grow to 6" but would like to get one a little bigger. Is it possible or would I have to go with the 6"? And if so could I squeeze two of them into it? Any help would be appreciated.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
image.jpeg I kept a breeding pair in a 30 gal bare bottom and no decorations...good breeder setup but your 2 ft cube is 60 gal and I would turn it into a nice planted tank with a pair.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lilyann and J. H.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
As a 60 gallon tank, you could get away with a group of six adult discus, but it will be a bit of maintenance to keep them healthy. You also couldn't keep anything else with them for bio load reasons.

I do agree with fisheatfish about a breeding pair. They would look really nice in a well aquascaped tank that size. In addition, you would still have room to keep a few other smaller fish, probably some bottom dwellers.

Reactions: J. H.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
As a 60 gallon tank, you could get away with a group of six adult discus, but it will be a bit of maintenance to keep them healthy. You also couldn't keep anything else with them for bio load reasons.

I do agree with fisheatfish about a breeding pair. They would look really nice in a well aquascaped tank that size. In addition, you would still have room to keep a few other smaller fish, probably some bottom dwellers.
I have six sub-adults and adults in a sixty gallon cube, because my sub-adults are still growing I do a 75% water change three days a week. But, once fully grown, I will most likely take that down to twice weekly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store