Discus water changes

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Like PYRU says, there's no one size fits all answer to water changes. There are too many variables, including but not limited to what and how you feed, filters and filter maintenance, plants or no and what type of plants, what your local water is like, and number or size of fish vs. tank size. Too many variables for someone to insist you must do this or can't do that. You don't want to skimp on water changes, but exactly how often and how much is something a good fishkeeper can best work out for their own tank and this may change over time as well.

As a former quite successful discus keeper I can tell you discus keeping also has many variables, there are different approaches and philosophies, including what to feed and what kind of tank to keep them in. Also, some strains are weaker than others. So, again, in the discus world some people insist on this or that, but a lot of it depends on the direction you go in keeping them. For example, you can increase or reduce how much water you need to change by what and how much you feed, size of tank compared to size and number of fish, and how you approach tank ecology. People become convinced of and insist on their way for various reasons, but there is more than one way and multiple reasons why more than one approach will work or why what works for one person doesn't work for another.

...As for 2" discus being so frail? Not when I kept them. If you find 2" discus to be so weak something is off what it should be, whether in the strain itself, something in how they were reared to that point, or something else going on. I never found 2" discus to be especially weak, not in my tanks.

I do agree on not having excessive current. Discus generally come from quiet waters. You do want good oxygen, but they are not fast water fish.

Reactions: Coryloach and RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Agreed, a local discus keeper never used RO unless breeding (water here is hard, with pH 8.0), fed all of his discus NLS pellets, frozen blood worms once a week as a treat, and did water changes once a week. He had between 2,000-3,000 gallons of discus tanks in his fish room.

People on Simply Discus didn't believe me, basically called me a liar, while my friend who had actually bought fish from some of these skeptics, read on from the sidelines laughing his ass off. When he passed a few yrs ago, he had been keeping discus on & off for over 40 yrs. Some good info on Simply, also some folks who think that they know it all, when in reality all they really know is how to follow the herd.

Good luck.

Reactions: neutrino

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I think a lot of us love fishkeeping because it is a challenge a no rule encompasses all scenarios.

But on the topic, I agree with everyone that for any fish, not just discus, water changes are a great thing to improve the immune system and you won't get away with a 25% water change.

From personal experience, even buying sick fish on purpose, water changes, suitable environment in a cycled tank will keep the fish alive until you figure out the right medication for example...for months....So imagine the benefit of water changes to a healthy fish...

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
People on Simply Discus didn't believe me, basically called me a liar,
Many moons ago, just after I joined Simply Discus I quoted Heiko Bleher on temperatures discus are found in the wild and I got eaten alive. I don't think I ever posted again but I've been having quite the fun reading the forum over the years. There is good and bad info, just like any other forum.

Reactions: RD. and neutrino

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
People on Simply Discus didn't believe me, basically called me a liar, while my friend who had actually bought fish from some of these skeptics, read on from the sidelines laughing his ass off. When he passed a few yrs ago, he had been keeping discus on & off for over 40 yrs. Some good info on Simply, also some folks who think that they know it all, when in reality all they really know is how to follow the herd.
I have a botanist friend who calls it "self-pollinating", people or groups who only listen to each other, only accept certain viewpoints, convince themselves their personal opinions are cosmic truths. I like it so I use it. It fits some fishkeepers and forums I've seen.

On the other hand, I've seen people insist on some really dumb stuff about fish in the name of 'thinking outside the box'. I have three 2" discus and six 1" mbuna and a 4" oscar in a 55 gal tank; it's been a whole week and it works great; you have to think outside the box! :wall:

Last edited:
Reactions: RD.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Many moons ago, just after I joined Simply Discus I quoted Heiko Bleher on temperatures discus are found in the wild and I got eaten alive. I don't think I ever posted again but I've been having quite the fun reading the forum over the years. There is good and bad info, just like any other forum.
Never joined but I've read a lot of stuff over there, some of it pretty reasonable, also some nonsense and laughably bogus logic.

Reactions: Coryloach

NoNameLeft

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I’ve kept domestic discus in the past and am now on my first run with a wild group of them.

First off I will say I do not think a 25% water change for any type of tank your running a week is adequate. Perhaps at best it barely is, discus or not. I have also read a good deal on Simply Discus and there is some good info like mentioned before a good deal laughable info. Personally to me they are a bit extremist in their behaviour and with the daily 90% (sometimes more) water changes down to fins even into adulthood and daily tank wipe downs no wonder discus can have a bad name....they’ve been conditioned by some breeders (in the name of just power feeding/growing) to be able to live in nothing else. They have been made genetically weak with this type of care. Of course most aquarists will fail or think they will if they think they cannot provide anything but.

All the domestics I’ve kept on the past have been pretty easy to keep in my opinion. I do keep my substrate on the very thin side though, my tanks having discus have always ranged to very to somewhat planted and I keep my nitrates at around 5. Depending on the set up lots of variables so my point is you cannot just tell someone....do this and it will work. You need to watch and test you tank with stock and find out how it ebbs and flows and you can set up a schedule from there after watching it for a bit.

I’m doing the same thing with my wild group and HUGE touch wood things have been working out so far. I do a 30-40% water change ever 3ish days on their current set up as it is on the over stocked/lightly planted side.

Reactions: jacobfata
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store