Discus with pikes

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hello, looking for some advice from anybody who has kept discus with crenicichla.
I have a bonded pair of crenicichla, some sort of lugubris (I believe Venezuela?) that I got as a "rescue" from petland. They are about 12" long, but were brought in from a customer who had them for a few years, so I believe they may be done growing.
I have set up a 90 gallon for them that I had empty, and would like to keep some tankmates with them. They are in a 33 long while I set up the bigger tank, and are with three 1.5" silver dollars, which they do not pay any attention to at all. So I don't think the pikes are aggressive to smaller, disc-shaped fish. I have seen on youtube people keeping discus with large pikes, and would love to try this, but do not have much discus experience, so wanted to ask if anybody had any tips for me? Do you think it is a decent idea?
Tank décor is sand, driftwood, and lots of tall jungle vallisneria as well as crypts. pH is around 7.4, water is on the hard side. Not ideal for SA fish I know, but most of these cichlids seem to adapt well as long as conditions are kept stable. I am keeping rams in this water with success.
So, opinions? Advice?

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I'd highly advise against this. The 90 is not large enough for much else besides the pair of pikes. Also, it never works long term unless your tank is massive. I had kept them together and posted them on YouTube. It was in a 180 with a pair of zebrina and wild discus. After some time, I started losing my discus to aggression.

The only pikes that work with discus are dwarf pikes.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
thanks for the advice, glad to hear firsthand from somebody who has kept these together! I kind of expected my tank to be too small, but had to ask, as this is such a beautiful display.
I won't try discus, probably will just do some oddball SA characins to swim in the top of the tank and call it a day.
The pikes are in the 90 now and loving the space. I will get some pics soon so I can get a positive ID.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store