Discus with Stingrays?

679x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2017
I have been thinking a bit about potential humidity and smell, the smell is a big deal because the pond/tank would be in the main area of the house where people often walk past and are often nearby. I am less concerned about humidity because I was thinking of covering the nearby walls with something that was easier to clean or dry if necessary, and we also have a dehumidifier which we use during the winter. That could also mean that humidity is likely to be a problem though since we do use it.

Also, I was thinking of koi with rays but am hesitant to try it because of the conflicting temps. The temperature would have to be perfect for the rays, and the koi would have to just deal with it. It seems like koi are hardy fish and can handle a wide range of temperatures, but would they really be happy in stingray-friendly temperatures? Or are there other reasons why I shouldn't mix koi and rays? (other than the massive amount of waste, which I am prepared to handle as long as I figure out a good way to do efficient water changes).

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I think a koi at healthy ray temps would be racing away with its metabolism, IF they can sustain that temp, they are very messy.

The purists will sneer.

The dehumidifier would need to be plumbed to waste as would be full very quickly. If you Evaporate too much you leave behind very hard water, only pure water evaporates so you would be topping up,all the time but still need to water change to dilute the mineral hardness left behind. Maybe partially cover the pond and cover at night?

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
Sorry took so long to reply with my limited experience, been on vacation in the Bahamas. So far I would say things are going well with my rays and discus. The rays are 10-12 in across and the discus range from 4 to 6+ in. I know its a gamble but to each his own. Its been about 1 1/2 yrs and things are going good. I cant say for certain that a year from now i will be able to say the same thing. Also i basically had the discus with rays from day 1. I will say that i did lose 2 discus in the beginning but unfortunately i think they were weak and the rays knew it. Ever since then the rays don't seem interested in the discus. The discus will literally eat off of the rays backs. Just my experiences and 2 cents..

20170730_143210.jpg

wyo1

Feeder Fish
May 10, 2019
What temperature should a motor stingray and discuss tank be set at? My LPS in Chicago states stingrays thrive in 80 degrees, but it seems to cold for a discuss? Let me know, I am very interested in what people have to say about this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store