Discus

Chadster72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2017
Sorry to disagree here, but much of what you've said is wrong, at least when it comes to discus.

First, beef heart is an excellent food for discus because of its high protein content. However, it does require more water changes.

This brings us to the water changes and nitrates. You are right that discus really require low nitrate levels. With three discus in a 45 gallon tank and feeding beef heart, I would say that at least a 50% daily water change is needed, if the discus are juvies and still growing (under 4"). If they are larger than 4", then larger water changes, less often, will suffice. Something like 75% every three days or so.

Now, for the bare bottom part. Many fish really don't care if there is a substrate or not. Discus are one of these types and could care less if there is a substrate. When keeping discus, it is very important to keep the water clean. One thing that can hurt the water quality is food and detritus getting stuck down in the substrate. With a discus tank, it is important to make sure this does not happen. Keeping a bare bottom tank makes it easy to siphon out the leftover food and detritus, which is why it is highly recommended to keep discus in a bare bottom tank. With growing juvies, it is pretty much a requirement.

Another point to touch on is the number. You say that you have three, but discus are schooling fish that do best in groups of six or more. Having said that, discus also need a tank that's allows about 10 gallons per discus, so a 60 gallon minimum.

Discus are not the easiest to keep, but they are fantastic fish if you can keep up with their maintenance.
Thanks, but not needed. The way I posted was rather casual and I could have been clearer.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I don't if any one has any long term studies on fish, much less discus that eat beef heart. Not to say there aren't scientific expert opinions, but has there been a study? Idk. Perhaps,

My take is that you mean beef heart is preferable at the juvenile stage. But you don't seem to be suggesting it's a good lifelong staple. (Or I missed it.) That would be more grey than the black and white, all or nothing approach since a healthy discus likely spends most of it's life as an adult. Do you agree?

I'd probably try other high protein foods besides beef heart, provided the discus would eat it readily. Do I know what that would be? Nope. Perhaps shrimp, certain fish, etc., but no clue if juvenile discus would eat it. In the wild, they obviously eat something besides beef heart or shrimp! But I won't argue if people have tried and found that juvies only eat beef heart.
Thank you

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
2 weeks since they arrived. I'm trying. Lol

View attachment 1273673
It would be much easier for you to take care of your juvenile discus if you went to bare-bottom while you are growing them out. You could leave a couple of decorations in the tank if you prefer them. It is much easier with bare-bottom to see where food has accumulated and to vacuum it out. Just a thought....

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
2 weeks since they arrived. I'm trying. Lol

View attachment 1273673
I'd say clear that bottom. Growing discus need pristine conditions. A friend of mine who keeps discus does 50% daily on his youngsters and keeps the bottom completely clean of debris otherwise he gets lots of die off

Reactions: Lilyann

Chadster72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2017
Bottom is clear. I use a live rock combination. Only had a .20 hickup in nitrites for 2 to 3 days. But that is kicking in the 3rd cycle and it evened out perfectly. Thank you for the advice. Yes I had a massive dye off. We lost a 1 year old clown loach 3 weeks ago. I should not have switched him tanks. The discus are growing insanely well and learning how to school with the other fish.

20170912_175432.jpg

20170913_161536.jpg

yoco

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2011
england
hi I hope no one mines if I recommend a book on discus it full off very good information you can get it on kindle for about 7£ its called discus world 2nd edition its a very easy read it answers all the questions asked above and more

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Yes bare bottom is recommended as it is easier to clean and the discus would grow larger than in a tank with sand, however if you do your daily water changes you can grow them with substrate (especially if the tank is overfiltered). They may not grow as large as in say a BB tank where you can get all the waste and keep the water pristine, but many hobbyist don't want show quality discus, rather want a beautiful tank they can enjoy watching and Chadster does have a beautiful tank.

Keep doing what your doing Chad as it seems to be working out for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store