diseased

rjorgen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Minnesota
How can I can I treat ick without using heat or removing my charcoal bags. My water stays at low 60deg F. tank is still Cycling with fish dont want to remove filter again and i dont want to add a heater. they are lower temp water freshwater fish. Fish wont eat and have been slowly dying off. Fins are cloudy some cloudiness on eyes. and layed eggs a few weeks ago. I do know about tankless cycling this is just how the chips fell trying to keep a healthier tank.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Welcome to MFK!!

If you leave the charcoal in, there's no med you can add that isn't just a waste of time. For now, adding salt at 1-2 tablespoons per gallon will help the fish fight off the infection. I don't hold out much hope though without, at least, dropping in a heater. You could try treating with a medicated dip. But, with fish dying, the remainder may be too weak for the procedure.
It would help if you listed tank size and species maintained.

water_baby83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
UnDeR tHe SeA
www.myspace.com
OK there are like a million and one threads on this. I was too lazy to sort through all of them to see which ones gave detailed info. but here are two that should give a little. One is Guppy's sticky, and the other is the one he posted for me. His is on freshwater, and mine covers salt, so here is some info on both if you need it. But also do a search for Ich threads on here because there are a ton with a lot of helpful info. I am sure!!

Fresh:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20681&highlight=ich

Salt:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=305644#post305644

Gamefishin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Minnesota
Sorry to hear but I had your problem one time also. With cold water there cold be some complications because you can't raise the water temp up to help fight ICH with medications. The best thing is to do a 35% water change and then put some aquarium salt in it. After......I say......2-3 days do the same and repeat until they get better.

I still sometimes have to do this when I see my bullheads rubbing on the sand. After a few days of this treatment they stop doing it. It seems to come and go a lot with cold water fish, I'm not sure why.

Good luck and keep us updated.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
What kind of fish, you can use salt at 2 tsp/gallon but in cold water (mid 60s F) you need to keep up treatment for 5-6 weeks

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
The charcoal isn't necessary if you have good bio filtration but I agree with the salt over meds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store