diy 10 gallon filter

hayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
nc
alright i have a 10 gallon tank that has a couple fish in it. they may be getting a new 40 gallon tank soon but i dont know about that yet that trade is pending. any way i was thinking of making some sort of diy filter. i was thinking a five gallon bucket full of gravel just gravel nothing else pumping water to the bottom then having it come out a bulkhead fitting on the side near the top. what do yall think? how hard could it be? the rocks would act as mechanical and biological filtering right?

hayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
nc

this is what i was thinking i figured out how to get the diagram up and some where in there there will be a pump

Volenti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
Australia
Yea that looks like it'll work, I'd use some sort of pre-filtering on the pump intake though to keep the larger debris out of the gravel filter (and to stop sucking fish in) a bucket'O'gravel should polish the water nicely.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Is the object an incredibly cheap filter or?

This was used for pond filtering in the dark ages :D.

Are we talking aquarium gravel or roof/driveway gravel?

It will work for filtering a 10g guppy tank with a small bio-load if you put an air stone in the bottom of the 5g bucket to aerate the water, but otherwise is considerably inefficient compared to other cheap media available.

At least go with lava rock for its porosity.

Do go with a pre-filter as Volenti stated.

Have you seen these?...

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34433&highlight=DIY+wet/dry

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23501&highlight=filter

Dr Joe

hayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
nc
i came up with it to try my hand a diy filtration so when i come up with an idea for my 90 it will have a better understanding of what works

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
That's what do it yourself is all about.

So...Is it done yet? Come on lets go it's a bucket of rocks...how long could it take to build?! :ROFL:

Good Luck,

Dr Joe

hayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
nc
all i need is a pump and a drill bit i have every thing else. also are the 10 gallon tanks from walmart tempered? i was thinking about hooking a few up in line but i dont want to drill unless im sure its not tempered.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store