DIY 125g tank stand build.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Ok so I’m totally being lazy by posting this and yes I could figure out the measurements myself, but I’m more or less wondering if anyone has plans that had all the measurements for the 2x4’s. The lazy mans instructions, mostly bc I’m too busy as work and I don’t want to sit and figure it out :) so thanks in advanced!

I found a good thread that has good instructions but not actual measurements.

Also in the picture I circled two of the 2x4’s that are “short”, I’m wondering if anyone knows why they are shorter than the top of the stand, would it not make more sense to have them as high as the highest 2X4 so they can take some of the weight?

Or if anyone knows the reasoning for them being shorter that would be awesome!
FAA8C7A0-E0AA-4D38-8EBD-F610F71D899A.jpeg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
As far as the sizes, this depends on how high you want it. Mind you if you make the stand talker you will need a step stool to do work in it. Caspers stand is three feet high, plus the 22in tank height. Where as my new tanks stand is 28in, so I can reach the bottom on the tank without a stool to stand on.
Both of these I am standing flat on my feet next to the tank.

20190506_210738.jpg
See I can reach the bottom no bending or anything for cleaning what have you
20190506_210803.jpg
Here I can barkey even reach in at all, and I am 5'9" tall as a reference.

Reactions: Niki_up

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I was thinking the 28inch height or an odd number like 25 inches high. I’m 5’7ish and that’s a problem I’m having with my 90 is barley reaching. The 125 is not as tall so with 28 inches I shoul be reaching the bottom no problem.

When did you build your stand? And what plans did you follow

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I have not built one for a 125, but did for a 29, 20. I didn't use plans just looking at pictures and figured it out.

Standard glass 125 right?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Or if anyone knows the reasoning for them being shorter that would be awesome!
Those short posts do not bear weight. They are for alignment and to create lap joints for strength. You want them short because all the horizontal joints will close up tight under load. That post has no joints to close up.

If you make it the theoretical correct length it ends up being a smidgen too long.

Last edited:

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Yea they don’t make much sense to me unless they go all the way up
You didn't draw structural building plans for a living. ;)

It does make sense.

Each corner has two bearing posts. This third one is for different purposes.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I have not built one for a 125, but did for a 29, 20. I didn't use plans just looking at pictures and figured it out.

Standard glass 125 right?
I think it’s standard 125g, it’s def glass and def heavy...I looked up it weight about 200lbs empty and I would assume that’s correct

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Those short posts do not bear weight. They are for alignment and to create lap joints for strength. You want them short because all the horizontal joints will close up tight under load. That post has no joints to close up.

If you make it the theoretical correct length it ends up being a smidgen too long.
So what I’m hearing is to stick with them being shorter posts.

And I was going to add an inch in depth and length so it was a little larger than the tank. So what I’m also hearing is there no need for this either haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store