DIY 200 gallon Red Eared Slider Custom Build Documentation

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
You only want foam under rimless glass tanks that rest on the bottom (sides on top of the bottom panel) and acrylic tanks. It smooths out and tiny bumps and imperfections in the wood. With a rimmed tank this isn't needed, the rim supports the full weight and wont cause the glass to crack due to some sand or a bump in the wood.

As for it being unlevel, it is possible that even though the stand top and floor were both level, together they were a bit off. 1/8" really isn't much so it wouldn't take much to reach that point. The foam may have caused it, but it may also not have.

How did you shim the tank? Did you do so under the low side of the stand? You always want to shim under the stand, not under the tank. If I were you I would pull the foam, see how the tank is sitting. If it is still a bit low use some shims under the low side, it really shouldn't take many with the length of the tank.

I do feel your pain trying to level it. I recently moved to a new place with very unlevel floors. Its and older house so the floor droops in about every direction possible. I have more shims touching the ground than stand at this point.

schaefd2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2015
Columbus, OH
I shimmed it underneath the right side of the tank stand itself. If you look really closely at the last pic I posted (the one with the old canopy on top), you can barely see a small gap between the stand and the hardwood floor.

As a side note, I hate carpet but I wish I had some to help cover that nasty gap!!

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I'll get a couple taken tonight after work, I don't have any of the shims on my phone. The full tank shot may have to wait, plants in it are in desperate need of some ferts which came in today. Plus I dont want to take over your post :)

schaefd2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2015
Columbus, OH
10357636_10100921077151020_5361670374072087742_o.jpg So it has been a long time (about a year) since I updated this thread. I haven't really made much progress since having a baby last April, but the last couple weeks, I have gotten a few things finished.
The doors that I had previously made with my father-in-law ended up warping because I stored them in my garage for too long. I removed those and I have a different plan now.
The canopy is nearing completion. I routered the trim to add some texture then I invited my friend and brother over and they helped me sand and stain the canopy. (I bribed them by smoking some beef brisket as they worked!) I also decided to use rattan fabric to help cover the openings on the front and side of the canopy. I needed something lightweight, affordable, and breathable, so rattan was the perfect candidate. The fabric was kind of yellow when I bought it, but I stained it using the same wood stain as the rest of the build; it ended up looking pretty good. I installed the fabric by pulling it tight and using a staple gun.
I will update again soon when I take pictures of the canopy.

View attachment 1167404

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store