DIY 400 Plywood Pond Build.

RedDevilRyan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
New Jersey
It's been a while since I've posted!
I'm just finishing up a 1700 gallon Amazonian exhibit at work, and until I begin the final stocking, I wanted a growout tank at my house to begin raising up some rays in. Since ill be moving in a year or so, and the pond will be in my basement, there was no sense in making something sexy and elaborate, it just has to be functional! The frame is also composed of 4 main side panels screwed together with Timberlok lag screws, so it's easy to disassemble. The outer dimensions are 93" by 55" by 25" high. Also, to save money, I made the entire frame out of scrap 2 by 4's I had in my garage. As far as the pond itself, I only had to purchase 2 - 1/2" plywood sheets, liner, screws, and 2 sheets of 1" plus 1 sheet of 1/2" foam insulation. (1/2" was doubled up to create a 1" piece for a side of the pond, saving me from having to buy a more expensive 1" sheet and having more waste.) The insulation is to protect the liner from any sharp imperfections in the wood but mainly to save money heating it. The pond has no bottom and sits directly on the vinyl tile which is on a cold concrete slab. Thankfully the pond is in my old snake breeeding room (snakes now at a separate facility) and the walls and ceiling are well insulated. As far as humidity problems with an open top pond go, I have my dehumidifier set up from when the reptiles were in there, and it drains directly into the slop sink in the room. I'm working on filtration and plumbing now! IMG_1856.JPG IMG_1857.JPG IMG_1858.JPG IMG_1913.JPG IMG_1919.JPG IMG_1920.JPG IMG_1922.JPG IMG_1924.JPG IMG_1925.JPG

Last edited:

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Looking good. If I were to build an indoor pond I'd do it the same way; most people have them in their basement anyway so functionality definitely goes over design.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Nice build. I really like the use of the foam board to separate the lining from the frame. I bet that will really help with temperature control.

RedDevilRyan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
New Jersey
Nice build. I really like the use of the foam board to separate the lining from the frame. I bet that will really help with temperature control.
Thanks man! Your build is looking great as well! This is my first time using insulation for aquarium purposes, I'm excited to see how well it works.

RedDevilRyan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
New Jersey
Here are a few updated pictures. There is a 220g tank next to the pond. The pond pump sends about 75% of its water to the trickle filter, and the remaining to the 220g. Both the filter and 220 drain back into the pond. I went with a large, new garbage filled with pot scrubbers that sit on an eggcrate platform to keep them raised 5" off the bottom of the can to prevent them from clogging the bulkhead. As a drip tray I used an old 16qt bin suspended by extra PVC, I threw some sponges in it for now until I can get some filter floss.

IMG_1953.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1979.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

Reactions: M@T!@$

lasko2015

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2020
RedDevilRyan RedDevilRyan How is the pond holding up? Do you have any new pictures?
Im looking to make something similar but slightly smaller. 6'x3'x2'

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store