DIY Algae scrubber

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Seachems reply to the lower gph (20ish range)

Thank you for your email. At a flow rate below 50 GPH, the difference in flow rates only really matter with regards to how it impacts the circulation of the tank and the delivery of nutrients to bacteria. At a certain point, the bacteria will start to be limited by how much nitrate they are receiving in new water. A lower flow rate does not mean that more bacteria will be growing. I'd suspect that 20 GPH would somewhat limit bacteria growth, but not to an extreme degree

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
jaws7777 said:
I stopped dosing ridx not knowing if it would impact the anerobic bb....thoughts ? Rd said he wasnt sure
The bacteria in Ridx are heterotrophic like the anaerobic denitrifying bacteria so they both need and use carbon. The Ridx bacteria should lower the organic carbon levels in the water column and impact them in that way. I don't know how much of a difference it would make though.

I think this would be more of a problem after adding Ridx when the bacteria are mostly in the water column.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
The bacteria in Ridx are heterotrophic like the anaerobic denitrifying bacteria so they both need and use carbon. The Ridx bacteria should lower the organic carbon levels in the water column and impact them in that way. I don't know how much of a difference it would make though.

I think this would be more of a problem after adding Ridx when the bacteria are mostly in the water column.
so you think i would be ok using the ridx in my set up ?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
IMG_0613.JPG My last wc was about a week ago (little over). The right tube is the tank. The left tube is out of the denitrator. Just fed and will recheck in several days. Fingers crossed.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Impressive. So 3 to 4 weeks is when you noticed reduction ?

What are nitrates down from ?
Thx for posting...giving me hope
View attachment 1247699 My last wc was about a week ago (little over). The right tube is the tank. The left tube is out of the denitrator. Just fed and will recheck in several days. Fingers crossed.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Around the 3 week mark when it would stay at about 20ppm pretty regularly. No changes to feeding and water change was reduced to once a week. Was 20ppm for several weeks.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Well, my 150 watt light, shorted out, the copper etched on the aluminum, dissolved due to a pin hole in the epoxy coating.
Theirs hope as the single bulb 3 watt, is still going strong. I have a 5 led chain keeping the scrubber alive, until the new lights arrive soon.

I started dosing potassium and sulfate, so far it has doubled, algae production. I have mixed up a slurry of the two, and adding 3 cc, apx 10 ppm by volume.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Do you guys see any issues with the pump beong so close to the heaters ? Warmer water has less oxygen right so should be fine ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store