DIY Aquaponics system using old aquarium filtration & parts. Help needed with TIDEPOOL I and SOS

Nnw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2018
Okay so I am in the process of making my own Aquaponics system. I used to have saltwater aquariums so I've gotalot of filtration items and tanks and lights that i can use if I need them.
So I've got a 55g 30g 20g 5g tanks
I have a remora c protein skimmer
A tidepool 1 biowheel wet dry sump also has the SOS overflow for non drilled tanks.Ive got another protein skimmer that is tall and cylindrical not sure on the brand name of it. Also I've got another overflow box I used in my display 55g tank. I have a phosphate filter I think is what it is & eheim cannister filter.
So my question is I do not have any clue on how to run the plumbing for the tidepool. It's never been used before and I think i have most of the parts that go with it. The overflow nor the sump itself was used because I had another one I made that I was using on my salt water tank. I need some diagrams or manuals or something that will show me what to do to hook this up. I have searched forums and can not find diagrams or pictures of anyones. Id' love the manual but can not get Marineland website to send me to the correct page to download it for the tidepool.
If anyone has pictures of there own tidepool 1 and SOS setup please send them to me. Or if you have links to some that are set up please send those.
I know this is a fish forum but aquaponics includes fish too so I thought it would be okay to post here.
Now with all that said. With everything I've listed that I have already got at home. I need some ideas as to what I can use in my Aquaponics system. Please let me know your thoughts!! They are very important to me. I just don't know if I need any filtration at all being that you want the poop and nutrients in that fish poop to go to the plants and not get caught up in the filtration. But at the same time if I've got a good bacteria bed in my system then I can have a larger fish load which would let me have more planting beds and therfore more plants. So their is my delima. Do I need to use a sump and filters in an Aquaponics system or not???

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I have been researching aquaponics as a nutrient removal method and to get some cheep veg too for my current system. You want mechancal filtration you don't want detritus to accumulate in your beds. Unless you plan on using worms of some kind.
Seems to me that the deep water system is the best way to go based on my system and bioload. It works well with light stock to heavy stock. There are 3 main aquaponic styles deep water, flooded bed, and wick. I think of these systems if you were not to use mechanical the most forgiving would be the deep water system, less chance for detritus to build up. But as I said all should be mechanically filtered. Lots of aquaponic info on the web. Also if you have local grow shop go make friends. They will be willing to help you figure the harder stuff out. My lgs is mostly intrested in growing "greenery" im sure but that offers you the greens and flower portion of growing so they have alot of lighting info and grow media info. As for your equipment, tanks are tanks, skimmer will be useless in fresh water. The tidepool is a wet/dry sump water goes in the top through the hose and is dispersed through the trays, mechanical filtration, maybe chemical if needed, then over the drum which should turn, this is your bio. Put a pump in the larger chamber to return to the tank, Heaters can go here too.
Hope that helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store