DIY aquarium stand

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
well I have been quoted £441 for the wood needed to build a 72x24 stand and got a quote from fabricators on ebay for £400 for a made to measure steel stand .I gue I will still need a sheet of ply wood to put between the steel stand and tank which may bring the price level to the wood .Didnt know wood was o epensive in the uk.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
well I have been quoted £441 for the wood needed to build a 72x24 stand and got a quote from fabricators on ebay for £400 for a made to measure steel stand .I gue I will still need a sheet of ply wood to put between the steel stand and tank which may bring the price level to the wood .Didnt know wood was o epensive in the uk.
Not only in the UK but the US as well since Mar of 2020

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm in the UK, in Lancashire, so maybe a bit cheaper than where you are. But even so, that quote for wood is absurd. My head is hurting just thinking of that price you've been quoted.

We have wood yards/builders merchants up here which are wayyyyy cheaper than the likes of home stores such as B&Q. At a push, for that size tank you could quite safely, and much cheaper, go for 3x2 wood, instead of 4x2. Half inch ply instead of three quarter inch. Typically, aquarium stands are preposterously overbuilt anyway.

You'll still have a stand that can take three or four times the weight your tank will ever come to, as long as you follow the standard build template for aquarium stands (plenty of tutorials on line).

There must be a cheaper way than forking out over £400. Hell, if you were local I'd build you one out of scraps I have in my shed and not charge you anywhere near that.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
It get worst that was before they added the vat with vat it is £529.23 and they are a timber yard I am going to try else where that is way too much for wood

• Wow
Reactions: esoxlucius

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
The instructions online make it look easy and my buddy built a stand simply enough but by the time he was ready to skin it, it was warped and wobbly as the 2x4’s dried and twisted.

He tried again and went to select straighter pieces but had a hard time and gave up. It’s been sitting in his garage ever since lol.

It was an expensive mistake. At the prices you’re being quoted, you might as well go for steel

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
well looked on builders depo they do 30m of 3x2 for £141 not including shipping and vat

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I forgot to mention the wood is 5th grade wood would this still be ok to use for a stand just want to be sure before I part with any money

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store