DIY cages/enclosures

Mike D

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Spencer,Ma
here is a shot of the PVC cage that i built a while back.

worked good for my igg. he never had any issues living in a wire cage. you could build this on a larger scale real cheap. i forgot the exact dimensions. worked well for my free roamer when he needed to hang in the cage. he was in this for about 5 years or so. ill see if i can dig up some pics of his first wire cage i built for him when i first got him. that i just framed out of 2x4 and then covered it with the same wire mesh. he had a basking shelf that spanned the back wal and i had that lined with mesh wire i think.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
brokenbluetears;3918416; said:
aaahhh i thought it didn't look quite deep enough for a permantent home...

how long will he be when he finally outgrows it then?
i'm thinking a 3-4 ft iggy should have at least 4-5 ft to turn around in for depth?
it really depends, Julio (my iguana) is only in his enclosure at night, the rest of the time he crawls out and sits in the window or walks around the living room since I leave the tank open all the time so with this being the case, it will be a while before he outgrows it...

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
snakeguy101;3919027; said:
it really depends, Julio (my iguana) is only in his enclosure at night, the rest of the time he crawls out and sits in the window or walks around the living room since I leave the tank open all the time so with this being the case, it will be a while before he outgrows it...
sorry for the derail but how does that work with his poo and stuff, i was thinking about doing something like this to get an iggy and set up basking area in my bathroom and where he would stay at night and then open the door between my room and bathroom during the day since i don't really have space for a huge enclosure but didnt know how to train to poo only in area in the bathroom...

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
Sarah88;3919288; said:
sorry for the derail but how does that work with his poo and stuff, i was thinking about doing something like this to get an iggy and set up basking area in my bathroom and where he would stay at night and then open the door between my room and bathroom during the day since i don't really have space for a huge enclosure but didnt know how to train to poo only in area in the bathroom...
I have never had a problem with the feces, he has always just gone in his tank since i have had him in it.... it might be different with other iggs though.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
snakeguy101;3919400; said:
I have never had a problem with the feces, he has always just gone in his tank since i have had him in it.... it might be different with other iggs though.

I take that back, he has had 2 accidents in the last 6 months.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
plenty of people make thier own cages. check my sig ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store