Until the thread gets fixed, I thought I would add to it without any pics. I'm putting my parts together while my house is being built (Aug/Sept). It's going to be a planted 90g with half a dozen clown loaches and one or two Frontosa. In the past I used to use commercially bought canisters but, this time I was thinking of a home made canister using a 5 gallon bucket. The 'canister' is going to be top feed with my return being feed from the bottom with a little giant pump. Im not going to drill the tank but rather plumb it. I would start posting pics however, photobucket doesn't allow free ranging anymore so I haven't discovered a way around that without paying for the privilege of using their site (only fair I suppose). The theory of my DIY canister is sound but cannot guarantee It's success being it's uncharted.... any input from the knowledge base?
I haven't figured out how to start a new thread so I'm going to insert it in here. Moderators please excuse a newby.
I'm putting a large tank display DIY filter together. I don't like the noise, water splash and insufficient submersible pump issues associated with sumps so, I'm going with a self sustained 5 gallon bucket canister.
Here's what I have so far but, it's a work in progress:
I have the 'canister packed with approx 15lbs of lava rock, topped with 1.5" of boi foam material, with floss on top of it.
As you can see the intake is gravity fed like many canister filters. There are disconnects before and after it for routine maintenance. The pump should be sufficient to move enough water .
The intake/output plumbing is painted with Krylon plastic paint that is safe for aquarium use after it dries.
I have optional plumbing to piggyback a second canister of the same configuration should the need arise.
In the past I have used very large Ehiem canisters but always found the return pumps to be insufficient. In time the thin plastic construction would degrade and leak, I solved that problem using sched 40-80 pvc and adding a kick butt return pump.
It's not up and running yet but my integrity water containment test is quit promising.
I will report my progress once the unit is attached and cycling the tank.