Diy filter for 125 gallon

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Hi! I'm in the process of building a filter for my 125g and I wanted get some opinions as I go to see anyone sees any possible problems with it.

I'm currently running the tank with 3 canisters. They do a wonderful job but I'm looking to simplify the setup as maintaining/cleaning them is a major pain lol.

I saw a design online for koi ponds and decided to scale it down for my tank using a 12 gallon bin: H12.5 W16.3 D21.88

The idea is to be able to clean the sponges/floss without having to unhook anything, much like a sump setup.

This bin will be above the tank and will be powered by a single pump that sits inside the aquarium. Water will then return back into the tank by gravity.

I added a horrible drawing lol to illustrate the design.

Water pours into a container inside the bin; this container has the sponges for mechanical. Then it comes out flooding the bin ( which will be packed with all the bio media from the 3 containers) and find its way out back into the tank.

My question is, would this yield about the same results as running my 3 canisters as it contains all of their media?

Since ill be having more space in the bin, I could potentially add even more bio media for better filtration.

I'm thinking about using a 800gph pump.

20190108_083821.jpg

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
It could work.
I actually use an over head sump on one of my tanks.
I have mine set up likes a trickel towers with the water flowing in the top over matten filter which is 1” thick with a super fine polish pad under that then it trickles of bio balls and scrub pads then flows back to the opposite side of the tank.
You need to be sure that nothing can become clogged.
If it does you will have a flood

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Use two drains.

A throttled drain to control normal bin water level. Make it an inverted U shape so it doesn't glug and gurgle too much.

A larger open drain, just below the top of the bin to prevent uncontrolled overflows, when the normal drain plugs.

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Good suggestions thank you!

I think I will go the sock route, picking up some supplies tonight.

The top drain is a great idea, definitely adding that.

Can you explain more about the U shape drain? Not too clear on that one?

I currently have a big pipe silicone in place with one big open end and drilled all accross.

I'll post some pics later. Thank you!

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Hi all, sorry for the delay.

Thank you for all the suggestions! After a lot of trial and error, I ended up buying an overflow box for my tank (eshopps 800) and used a bigger plastic bin for the sump (50 gallons).

I have it all running now and transferred all my media into it.

Now I do have a few things I need to figure out (I'm a complete sump noob lol) but so far so good. Definitely happy to not have 3 canisters and a bubbler running!

20190113_185757.jpg 20190113_185837.jpg 20190113_185810.jpg

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Quick question, is the departamentalization in the sump something that is completely crucial or is it fine as long as there is some circulation.

I currently have the hose from the tank going through some sponges, and then from there it just spills all over and into the return pump.

Also, are there any tips for silencing the tube from the overflow box? Thanks!

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
If the over flow is gurgling, you can reduce the flow very slightly from the pump, with a gate valve. Until it balances out.

This valve can also be on the return line also. But it can be difficult without an emergency drain to catch the slight overflow, from the full siphon needed for silence.

The circulation in the sump is the important part. So you have good contact time with the bio media.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store