DIY help for Filstar XP series

xdoomsongx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Kansas
So, I have an old Rena Filstar xp3 that I love. The gasket around the impeller is shot. It's one "string" of rubber that you place in one end to the other like a string of spaghetti if that makes sense. The problem is I can't find a replacement seal. The gasket is sold in a "kit" that is all of the XP o rings and seals that the filter needs.

The issue is it is out of stock everywhere I look. I finally called API to see what might be going on. The rep I spoke with stated that the kit was discontinued, and no longer available...

Anyone have a DIY idea, or alternative that I could use so I don't have to get something else or get rid of this great filter? Thanks for any help/ideas. I'm happy to report if anything works. The diameter of the impeller housing is 9.5cm, or about 5.74 inches. I tried a 5.5inch o ring, but it was too thick, and I tried a 5.75 o ring that was loose, and too thin to create a seal. That was all my local hardware place had.

Is there any sort of silicone material that I could cut a round "doughnut" out of to seal the gap? Anything else I'm open to trying. Thanks again!

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
I once had this issue....ended up making my own gasket by cutting up a bicycle inner tube. Once layed flat u can cut out a simple piece using simple scissors. I used the old piece as a stencil

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
I have 4 of these filters and I am so glad I bought replacement gaskets when I did.
Thats gonna suck when those start to go out.
X xdoomsongx how long have you had yours before the gasket went south?

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
Also doing a little searching I found this.... but all usual sources are out of stock

Also here for normal pricing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store