DIY Indoor 500+ Gallon pond for Yellow Belly Slider Turtles and maybe Koi

steffen2005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2012
Westmidlands uk
Hi im steffen and im from the uk. Im fairly new to keeping turtles, I have got 3 Yellow Belly sliders one is roughtly 6 years old it wasnt looked after that well the people who had it before me was given bad advice and were keeping it in a cold water tank 2ft by 2ft with another turtle the same age with it with no basking area uvb, or heat bulb so shell was in really bad condition when i got the turtle plus there was no filter in there. Anyway 6 months down the line i was given another 2 turtles from someone who didnt realise how hard they can be to look after with all the cleaning, But since i have had them they are growing fast and i now need to upgrade the size of the tank they are in. At the minute they are in a 5ft x 1.5ft and 10" deep fish tank. Im looking to build an indoor pond i have got 8ft by 5ft in my living room to use im not sure about the depth from the advice I have been given 2ft high they have said any bigger and it would look out of place in the living room but i do have dogs so i was a bit worried about the height but i guess i could use an Acrylic screen around two of the sides to stop the dogs getting to the pond the other two sides are against the interior walls so they are ok. Also from advice i have been given 2X3 timber frame with 12mm Ply sheets on the inside of the frame and then a sheet of 12mm polystyrene because you can not get Styrofoam in the uk. Hopefully this will still protect the liner.The liner i will be using is firestone EPDM 1.02mm thick i have heard this is the best one to use when keeping turtles. I just wasnt to sure about the 2x3 timber frame would hold 500+ gallons of water or if i would need to go thicker on the wood. i know in Ralphdavis pond demo on youtube they used 6x2 timber frame. But i have been told to forget 6x2 timber use 3x2 its more than enough i just dont fancy coming home to a flooded house. its already happened once when dogs learned how to turn taps on in bathroom and flooded us :ROFL:. Im not to sure yet on a waterfall i know turtles love them so will need one eventually. for filter im thinking home made black plastic tub or a clear one and paint outside so light cant get to it that will be in one corner of the pond with diffrent filter foams and my charcoal and bio balls from my current turtle filter which is a Fluval 404 and in the other corner of pond maybe a plastic open tub filled with Al***rog and some gravel and a few plants growing from it as the Eco filter. I now just need to get the pond sorted asap as turtle water not as clear as it used to be in tank and im doing 30% water changes ever other day and its just not getting any clearer never had the problem when it was just the big turtle so hopefully once ponds built and its got better pumps and filters and more space it should be a lot better for them and hopefully should be able to start keeping fish in same pond as long as fish are bigger than turtles i should be ok. for now ill be using a 160w basking UVB bulb above there basking island in middle of pond but eventually ill be looking into getting a 3 x 150w metal halide pendant that they use above marine tanks so i can grow some plants in and around pond. Ive also been offered the other turtle that was kept with my big turtle before i had it as they can no longer keep up with cleaning tank every week not sure how they got away with once a week with out filter in there so need to get this built quick to give the turtles a good home. So any suggestions or advice would be great.
Thanks Steffen

steffen2005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2012
Westmidlands uk
Hello All
It has been a while since i updated sorry about that everyone! Well here goes i have now built the pond indoors it turned out to be 8ft x 5ft x 2ft. I built it out of 3x2 timber with 1/2 inch ply on the inside walls and bottom and then inside that for extra insulation i have put 1 inch thick polysterine on that then i put the firestone pond liner in. Around the outside edge i have finished it with tongue and groove and to cover the liner at the top around the edge i have put some 7 inch x 1 inch timber which over hangs on the inside to stop the turtles getting out. I have a waterfall in the one corner which is made out of some left over wood and liner but it does not flow that well because it does not have a straight edge on the bottom ledge so i am still undecided on if to keep it or not. I brought a preformed one from an aquatic shop and have attached that to a piece of ply wood and stuck some pebbles around it with tile adhesive so that it looks more natural on the edge of the pond on the ledges of the waterfall i have put some alfafrog rock to try and get a small biological filter going. In the centre for the turtles to bask i have got some sand stone rock which will eventually be changed for slate and other rock because i am finding the sandstone is slowly decaying due to the water flow in the pond but i do like the natural look of the sand stone rock i just wish there was a way to stop it from decaying in the water. above the basking area i have a 160W Mercury Vapour bulb next to this i have a 250W Metal Halide Light to help the plants grow and to show the colours of the Turtles and Koi. I have also got 5x Shubunkins and 5x Koi in there with the 4x Turtles they all seem to be getting on well together as i was a bit worried to start with that the turtles would eat the fish but they all seem happy together.
I have recently got a piece of black tubing which i have got the one filter outlet going in to and it is suspended just above the pond to give extra oxygen, the fish and turtles love to swim under it and feel the water running on to them.
It has been built for about 2 1/2 months now and i have recently had a few problems with high ammonia levels but with a few 20% water changes the levels are now down to 0.6 where at the begining of the week they were at 7.3 i am not sure why it did this suddenly as the turtles have been in there from when it was built and the fish have been in there for about 2 months with no problems until this week. The only thing i can really put it down to is the food i was giving them. They were having wheatgerm pellets and i noticed that this was leaving an oily residue on the surface of the water so i have now changed the food it seems a lot better. Plus i am only feeding once a day now instead of three times a day which i was told they needed. Since only feeding once a day and changing the food i have noticed that the oily residue on the top of the water has gone and the ammonia levels have come down so it makes me think even more that it was the wheatgerm that was causing alot of the problems i have been having. i am going to continue with the daily water chages until the level drops to 0 for the ammonia. the PH is starting to go back to 7 and the nitrite levels are also dropping back down as well so all looking positive at the minute.

Around the edge of the pond in tubs i have put a few tropical house plants which seem to be taking off and starting to grow now.

Here are a few pictures.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and any thoughts and comments welcome

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG