DIY overflow really loud

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
So is there any way to quiet this down some? I did the overflow per a youtube video. The pipe at the top has an extremely loud gurgling sound. I added a valve, closed it a little and shoved some filter media in there, it helped but it's still very audible 25' away. Any suggestions? Is there a different style diy overflow that is quieter?

20220813_161534.jpg

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Look into Herbie overflow, or even Bean Animal overflow, for exactly what you describe.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Just rewind your life to your teen years, and then spend the rest of it listening to loud music, loud motors, loud gunfire...operative word is loud.

Worked for me! I'm so deaf now that I'm barely aware of all that "white noise" from my overflows, pumps, aerators, etc. No need to worry about Beans and Herbies and Dursos and Animals and...well, you get the idea. The most complicated thing I need to deal with when setting up an overflow is the length I need to cut the pipe. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Mudfrog

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Just rewind your life to your teen years, and then spend the rest of it listening to loud music, loud motors, loud gunfire...operative word is loud.

Worked for me! I'm so deaf now that I'm barely aware of all that "white noise" from my overflows, pumps, aerators, etc. No need to worry about Beans and Herbies and Dursos and Animals and...well, you get the idea. The most complicated thing I need to deal with when setting up an overflow is the length I need to cut the pipe. :)
Unfortunately it's just a room over from my theater. It gets annoying during a movies quiet scene. If it was just white noise that would be fine, but this is flat out LOUD. I was doing some research though, it seems that the gurgling could be caused by the PVC not being large enough, which causes a siphon instead of a gravity flow. It is louder the faster I have my pump set to. I used 1" PVC and a pump that has a max flow rate of 1050. On the lowest setting with a 5 foot return height, I would have assumed I'd be down in the 600-700 range, but that's a guess. Either way, I guess it may be to much flow for this setup.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Gurgling is what you will always get from one overflow pipe, as it varies between overflowing and siphoning. That is why you need one of each.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store