DIY Overhead Filter

Freezekougra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Not done yet...but it's so simple to do I think more people should give it a try :D

Using a maxijet-1200(295gph) and I still need to make two spray bars.

Problems:
1)Neighbor stole hole saw in mail ._.

2)Realized that PVC is measured by inner diameter...1" hole saw does not work for 1" PVC
-Filter intake of my broken penguin 330 fits perfectly. I cut off a small piece to join PVC from the outside to the inside of the tank.

3)Sister walks into tank and cracks it 30 seconds after I told her not to touch it :irked:

Right now I'm planning on switching to a plastic storage bin. Should lower the head pressure and be less fragile than my cracked 10g. I want as much flow as possible since this will be the sole filter for a 75g.

Total cost:
$27 powerhead
$6.50 PVC
$22 1" and 1/2" diamond hole saw set, x 2
$8 10 gallon tank
$63.50 minus media. Not too bad considering how the hole saws are reusable. Just make sure to get the right size :cry:

Photo0071.jpg

Photo0075 (2).jpg

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
seen alot of these and they seem to work well, with flowrate will be dependant upon the outlet, so if you're pump has to be turned down to avoid overflowing the filter then you just need to upgrade to a larger pipesize when you change out to the storage tub. but if your pump is at max the 1" will be fine.

nice thing about these is even if your filter overflows it just drops right into the tank, rather than on the floor.

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
im most impressed by the noodle bowl support engineering

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
Nice build. is that 2" piping for your overflow? I am sure its just the picture but it looks like its running up hill a little. Very nice setup looking forward to see it run.

The crack worries me, because you have the overflow so high up, you will have the tank almost full, so the water pressure will be pretty strong. I would be afraid that the glass will keep cracking and leak or worse yet shatter. There was a post on here not to long ago about someone with a 120 gallon that lost a center brace. In the time it took them to go to the store buy another on, and come home, the tank exploded. Their glass was not cracked so it was stronger the your cracked glass.

Freezekougra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for the comments
I switched to a 12.5 gallon plastic storage container. Cracked 10g definitely not a smart idea, and it was already slowly leaking :p The plastic container is bigger so half of it has to rest on the strip light, but is much easier to drill. Two outlets are enough to let all the water out. I would of liked something curved like a L or a J to let the water move horizontally but this will do...

Photo0071_002.jpg

Freezekougra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
And here's a perfect sized hole for PVC. Cut off an elbow and used it as a stencil.

Now I can put the lid over the top to prevent evaporation and lower noise. Will probably need to drill some holes for more oxygen though...

Photo0075_002.jpg

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I did an 8" plywood version of this. It was a beast, and kept my tank sparkling clear. Only real probmems were it was a pain to clean, and was very loud (pushing 2000 gph). I have since removed it and am building a 2000 gph canister filter system from 4" pvc. If you are interested check out my tank build, I show how i built it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store