DIY Overhead Filter

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
It would be safer if you can transfer the weight of the container to the frame of the tank. I am concerned that too much weight resting on the central brace may break it off one day. The central brace holds the front and back glass pane from bulging and is not designed to take weight. A broken central brace can lead to leak development on the bottom seal due to bulging movement. Even without overburden weight, the central brace of some big tanks broke off over age and must be repaired promptly to prevent leak development.

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
It would be safer if you can transfer the weight of the container to the frame of the tank. I am concerned that too much weight resting on the central brace may break it off one day. The central brace holds the front and back glass pane from bulging and is not designed to take weight. A broken central brace can lead to leak development on the bottom seal due to bulging movement. Even without overburden weight, the central brace of some big tanks broke off over age and must be repaired promptly to prevent leak development.
Now that is exactly what I was worried about. I was actually thinking of adding some additional bracing over the top for this to rest on, so that it wasn't sitting directly on the brace it is currently sitting on.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I had an overhead filter on my 240 when I built it. I loved it until I had to clean it. It was also loud moving 2000+ gph. But now that I have removed it, I am hating myself.

Nicely done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store