DIY pond vacuum and filter idea!

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Now I see what you are doing. You know you could use a shopvac for that too. Just fill the interior with foam, or filter floss, and get a second hose that can attach to the back on the blower end. That is what the inlaws do for their pond.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
WyldFya;548670; said:
Now I see what you are doing. You know you could use a shopvac for that too. Just fill the interior with foam, or filter floss, and get a second hose that can attach to the back on the blower end. That is what the inlaws do for their pond.

My shop vac won't blow water out, it has a float to shut off vacuum when tank is full...It does have a drain plug but it's only a 3/4" hole and not a hose hook-up. Never tried it with the vac on tho...

Dr Joe

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Hmm odd, mine has a full size output, that water will blow through. If you have a shopvac that won't return the water you can always drill, and use a cold water union with a short diy hose to return the water.

z24frank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2006
San Diego
Dr Joe;548659; said:
Normally you don't want to draw garbage thru your pumps impellers unless it's made for it (macerator function), atleast put a pre-filter on pond pumps.

And yes, one of us read it wrong.

Dr Joe

I agree but this is a sewage overflow flood pumps thats says it can take care of up to 2'' solid matter,poop is what I think they are refuring too!I am going to try it out tommorow so ill let everyone know how it worked!oh by they way its only like a 1200 gallon pond and no its not mine its a side job for a guy who just bought the house and it had been neglected for a few years.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Oh...You gotta take pictures!

Before

All the muck

And the gorgeous job you did as in After.

Plus it will give some people an idea of why you should do proper maintenence. :D

This could be a sticky.

Dr Joe

z24frank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2006
San Diego
Well sorry all but I failed the pump wouldnt work after I put the hose attachment on it longer than 2 feet so I ended up draining it:irked: But I will take pictures tommorow of all the crap and muck thats STILL there.And to top it all off now we found out that there is a leak but cand find where...so Ill keep you posted tommorow.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
I would just buy a shop-vac and go from there. Hmmm maybe I will do that. Must go to black and decker outlet.

z24frank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2006
San Diego
Thats what I was origanally think but I didnt want to dump it every couple of minutes,and then I thought it would be great if I could filter it out real ggod the just return it to the pond!so still a work in progress!

Jawbone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2005
Ohio
This idead will work I think you just dont have a proper pump. Basically I would think you would need a self priming pump. Good try though. Count it as a learning experience.

z24frank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2006
San Diego
yeah your right its just a little disappointing when it doesnt work out and you get all excited about something.I really do think its a good idea though just gonna have to make it work now!LIke you said its a learning experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store