DIY Projects

mack19318

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
crandon
This thing cost about 20 bucks for everything other than spare stuff had laying around (pump, filter and bio-balls). Really the egg crate cost the most as everything else was under 3 bucks. The over all container is 30 gallons, have 25 pounds of crushed coral for the substrate. The wet/dry is a 15 gallon garbage can that has been cut and drilled to allow water flow through, filled to the top with about 10 pounds of bio-balls and the rest are 20 for a buck spunges! works great for all the big crap my gobby digs up. The filter going to this ghetto art is a fluval 304 and the pump bringing water back is the Quiet One 4000, the tubing is stuff from around the house as is the pvc pipe, my drip plate is a large pencil holder with holes drilled in bottom. I think over all this took about 2 hours to put together and around 20 hours to get the flow just right!!
Also notice there is some very bare rock in the tank, it is clay, havent heard much about people using this but so far it is working, very easy with no curing just fire it and washed it and in to the tank it went.
this 90 gallon is my second saltwater tank up from a 20 gallon nano which only lasted 2 months before went out and got this!
Have watchman gobby, clown 2 damsels and a green gobby, 5 various hermits and 6 turbo snails, so far!!
The pic of the hermits is the big guy in the shell pulled the other one out and took his shell!

mack19318

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
crandon
here are the pics, maybe if they load!
The skimmer is going in as soon as i get the air stone for it, the uv is already hooked up but cant really tell if it is working right or not. how do you tell if it is?

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

doomsau

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2009
olympia, washington
here is a video on you-tube about making live rock. Ive wanted to try this, but I'm not sure if this can be made into actual LIVE ROCK for a marine tank. its a good informative video. if this doesn't have a place in marine DIY than it definitely has a place in the FW DIY section.......what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFPebEdEoMA

mrclaf

Feeder Fish
Feb 17, 2010
Tampa Florida
Hello, heres a project for you, well for me really. I would like to build a wet/dry system for my 30 gal tank. Nothing fancy just a cheep quick set up with as little money involved as possible. Help!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store