DIY PVC & Plastic screen tank lid

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Is your aluminum lid anodized? If so, it will not leach aluminum oxide into your water.
Ok Thx, I wondered if that might make a difference or not. 1 of the lids is spray painted black (not Kryon Fusion though -- who knows, could be why that BBXB hasn't been feeling super over last couple of months), but the other (one I'm working on now) I 'think' is anodized. If so though it's pretty light, 'cuz it scratches easily; also there are quite a few cut end pieces where it of course isn't anodized. Also not sure what the rivets are made of. Probably might be ok if it is anodized, but again better safe than sorry; new version will be totally non-mettalic.

Aluminum Tank Lid frame.jpg

On white PVC you can colour tint with tie-dye stain. The stuff used for T shirts. You need very hot water to soak and see several baths. As the PVC pipe is long, I use a wider diameter PVC pipe with end cap as the bathing container.

Black comes out slightly patchy so may not work as well as paint but doesn't scratch off like paint would.
Interesting, appreciate the tip, might consider that with the 2nd lid after I see how this one looks in blue.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Buy some black duck tape and wrap it!
Good idea aae0130, had considered that solution too but decided against it because esp. after a while tape here (in the hot and humid tropics) has a tendency to get kinda messy (e.g. adhesive leaks out the sides a bit and gets sticky).

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Got around to working on this again yesterday. I can see the pieces aren't perfectly sized/aligned, and I think it might be a bit narrower than I would like, but I did the best I could with limited DIY skills and hope it's all close enough when placed onto the bracing. This perimeter bracing has 4 drilled holes at the back and sides for hosing etc. so I can't use the full 4 inches of bracing except at the front. On the right side I also had to make space for the OHF that goes across the tank width there.

New GHXB Tank Lid c.jpg

Cutting and putting on the plastic webbing with zip ties was a time consuming process but it's strong as heck, no Arowana gonna break through that screen (but it's more forgiving on the head than say glass or polycarbonate). Plus given the small pebbles loaded into most of the PVC, the whole unit is considerably heavier than the aluminum ones currently on the tanks. However the outer frame will still need to be lashed down to the tank stand for max safety.

New GHXB Tank Lid b.jpg

Next I need to fix handles onto the lids and then figure out some kind of latching system at the front of each; thinking about velcro or maybe simple rope handles and upside down hooks.

After the outer frame goes onto the tank I'll put the lids on and use several looser zip ties to be securing 'hinges' at the back of each lid.

New GHXB Tank Lid a.jpg

Not beautiful but should be functional and secure -- if it fits properly. If not I might be able to adapt it for the BBXB's tank, which has 5" bracing.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I'm going to be putting this on the tank soon, but duh! I just realized a flaw in my design: due to width of material components has changed it means the 2 inner lids will actually not be resting on the bracing, and will be overhanging the water. This isn't ideal because it will block out more light and will also be a harder surface (if Aro jumps) compared to the plastic mesh.

Not end of the world but I'm thinking I should have at least used 3/4" pvc instead of 1", despite the weight difference, will go that route with the 2nd one I make for BBXB tank.

Now I just hope my GHXB remains cool during the changing of the lids; reckon I'll feed him first, he's always more chill after that, at least for an hour or two.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Well despite all the time and effort spent making that new top for the GHXB tank, I decided not to even try putting it on the tank -- I realized that I really should have used 3/4" pvc instead of 1", as with the latter the lids would hang over water instead of properly resting on the bracing.

So I put that one off to the side and made a new one with 3/4" pvc but I decided to make it for the BBXB's tank first and will come back to GHXB's tank later.

Luckily it fit on the tank quite nicely, and especially when strapped down with the blue rope at each corner, it's quite secure. For the lids I used velcro attached to zip ties -- like the rest of the top might not look so great but quite functional and easy to use.

BBXB New Tank Lid 1.jpg

BBXB New Tank Lid 2.jpg

Definitely not hi-so looking but I'm just about the only one who sees the tank so no biggie. At least the new top matches the pump lol, next need to replace those ugly green canister hoses, then Thunder's Blueberry Suite will be complete.

BBXB New Tank Lid 3.jpg

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Looks great, very cool idea.
Thx, not really my idea as I'd seen similar on some LFS tanks here, just tried to refine it a bit. Pretty cheap and easy to make too, most time consuming part was putting on all those zip ties so they they're aligned, lol I now regret not signing up for Basket Weaving 101 in school.

Reactions: TheWolfman

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I finally got around to making a 2nd PVC lid for the GHXB's tank, same design as the BBXB's (though the measurements are different as the latter tank has 4" bracing while the GHXB's has 3").

So thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter your one little post about potential aluminum oxide toxicity cost me about a week total of my life lol, but at least my fish have better/safer lids now.

GHXB New Tank Lid 2m.jpg

GHXB New Tank Lid 1mdd.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You're most welcome but don't blame me for listening to me. :) I only hope you have read the original studies and articles and not just relied on my word. They are edifying.

I am glad to see the all plastic lid. People underestimate the peace of mind and cut many corners and then have to go to shrinks and take tranquilizers to go to sleep. I think making an all plastic lid is cheaper and less taxing in the end than that... especially for the predispositioned OCD personalities such as yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: islandguy11 and RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store