DIY Rock Wall / River Tank (long with pics)

JoelR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Jacksonville FL
Okay, we knew this was going to happen but Wow!!! That PH soared off the charts within a couple hours. :jaw:
Does anyone know if there is anything I can add to the water to help speed up the process of leeching this thing out? Muratic (sp?) Acid??
Or do I have to practice my new found talent, “patience” ?

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Many, high percentage water changes with a low pH will drop it and take out a large porportion of the high pH levels. Adding peat into the filter will drop pH.
Is the pH higher than, 9 or at the peak and 14?

JoelR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Jacksonville FL
My kit only goes to 9 & it's peaked out on that so?? I'm doing 100% changes because there are no fish in it yet. I'm not running the filter yet either. I'm just letting it leech.

Now, would ph down help speed this up? Could it help strip it out or "soak" into the cement? That's where I came up with the Muratic Acid idea. Just enough to bring the ph down to normal range, not to give it an acid bath per say. I used to use it for PH down when I used to pre-treat 55gl barrels of water for discuss.
A strong word of caution though,, If you ever try to use this stuff,, do not add it directly to a tank. It takes very little to drop the ph & will kill your fish if it comes in direct contact. It will burn your skin, clothes, carpet, etc. Nasty stuff. That's why I quit using it. (but it does work if used very carefully)

ola sjödin

Feeder Fish
Nov 20, 2007
Sweden
Nice background. I´ve added citric acid (C6H8O7) to my concrete backgrounds. It´s not so strong so it is quite easy to control the pH.

upaquariest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
Houghton MI
Ive used peat for my discus tanks, its really easy to use and makes a big difference. My tap water was around 8 and after sitting in peat for 24- 36 hrs i got it down to 6.5

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store