DIY stainless impeller shafts

thacarter546

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Midwest
So I have been doing this for about 3 years now. I know it works, but do so at your own risk. For all of my filters that use steel impeller shafts I measure the diameter of the shaft 3 times with a decent digital caliper. Just to make sure I get a solid measurement. Then I order model plane propeller shafts in the same diameter. I usually get 6-12 12" sticks for about 15 bucks. They are 316 stainless with a tight tolerance and pre polished. I then cut them to length with an angle grinder, round the ends slightly with a bench grinder, and call it a day.

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Interesting ideal but what filters use raw steel shafts? That seems insane

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
I'm saying what sort of water pumping device come's out of the box with a steel impeller shaft and requires replacing.

Every one I've seen is stainless or ceramic

thacarter546

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Midwest
I should have said stainless. My Renas go through 1 a year or so. Which I consider acceptable. I just hate spending 20-40 bucks on a 316 shaft. Aquaclears I got so sick of buying impeller shafts. I bought about 16-18 before I started making them Hagen replaced 1. Ended up throwing every aquaclear I owned away. Only thing I'll buy from Hagen now is Fluval specs (I like the internal sump way too much. Various marineland shafts can be done, but there are a couple extra steps.

Ceramic shafts can be done this way too, but what's the point? Every ceramic shaft has lasted me years.

I have also done ceramic shaft mods to replace stainless shafts in a couple filters with mixed results. Cutting them is risky business and even if done right depending on the filter they may or may not last.

I refuse to do any modification to my eheims however (with the exception of replacing the volute cover on my 2260). Mostly because as is they just run reliably.

Reactions: markstrimaran
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store