DIY stand for 150

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
Afternoon folks,

I just moved into a new townhome and my roommates are not fond of my current set up.

I have a 150 gallon tank - with the dimensions being 72x18x26
My current stand is a black iron stand with a pine? insert underneath. it is 73x18.5x30

What i'm looking to do, is build a stand from 2x4's and other assorted wood that would drop the tank at least 10" in height. I'm not very handy so i'm not certain on how difficult it would be to cut the iron stand and re-weld to adjust or how pricy that is. I'm thinking that the a wooden stand with the proper support could be something i'm capable of building and would more than likely be a cheaper option.

I've made a draft on paper of wood, but my main issue is i'm not certain the types of support i would need to accommodate the weight of this all glass stand and 150 gallons of water.

Let me know if you've had any success in the past or any tips from people that are smarter than I to make this work long term.

Thanks a bunch.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I just built this stacked setup for my 150, same size as yours, and a 75 gallon under it. Took me about 4 hours to complete using materials recycled from other stand builds.
20180815_130048.jpg

Might not be what youre trying to do but my point is its very easy to customize stands to your needs using simple materials like pressure treated pine and deck screws. Equipment needed will be a circular saw, drill, tape measure, straightedge, levelboard, and pencil for marking. A good sander comes in handy too.

Biggest technical aspect is making sure your tank is level and will stay level on the stand.

Reactions: Go_redfish and Jrob

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I just built this stacked setup for my 150, same size as yours, and a 75 gallon under it. Took me about 4 hours to complete using materials recycled from other stand builds.
View attachment 1332253

Might not be what youre trying to do but my point is its very easy to customize stands to your needs using simple materials like pressure treated pine and deck screws. Equipment needed will be a circular saw, drill, tape measure, straightedge, levelboard, and pencil for marking. A good sander comes in handy too.

Biggest technical aspect is making sure your tank is level and will stay level on the stand.
I'm loving how you have your TV on a stand that could easily double up as a fish tank stand. That way, if you come across a cheap tank that fits those dimensions you just need to throw your TV in the bin and you're good to go! A committed hobbyist right there. As an added bonus a nice little cylinder tank would fit nice and snug on that coffee table. Man, you've got all bases covered.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I'm loving how you have your TV on a stand that could easily double up as a fish tank stand. That way, if you come across a cheap tank that fits those dimensions you just need to throw your TV in the bin and you're good to go! A committed hobbyist right there. As an added bonus a nice little cylinder tank would fit nice and snug on that coffee table. Man, you've got all bases covered.
Lol my 30x24 tank fits perfectly on that tv stand.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
There are some very easy to follow videos on joeys you tube channel (king of diy). You can apply his basic structural build formula to any sized tank. Well worth a look if you need some pointers.

Yulli

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2016
There are some very easy to follow videos on joeys you tube channel (king of diy). You can apply his basic structural build formula to any sized tank. Well worth a look if you need some pointers.
Second this, his video on the 300G original stand supplies approximate weight capactiy on verticals for both 2x4's and 2x6's as well.

Reactions: tlindsey

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
much appreciated, i'll check it out.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I built my stand for my 125 with 2 x 4s and some 2 x 6s that I had spare, I built it similar to the video that the king of diy has on building wooden stands but added some extra support and made it to my needs. These are pictures of the corners on the inside

FE02C992-340A-4B99-BE87-A4F13B821300.jpeg 702A932B-3C04-4A6A-8F37-4CDB826D1364.jpeg E90DF79F-8518-4EB4-BA7C-5F5B613E4988.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store