DIY Sump

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Anyone know if I could make a DIY sump?
I want to do as much stuff myself for the saltwater tank... and I heard that it isn’t to hard but needed to ask if anyone knows how to?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
All my sumps are DIY, some made with old tanks, some from barrels, one, for an outdoor tank was the pond next to it.
A sump can be as simple, or as complicated as you want it to be, the only rule, or law, is the law of gravity.
Some people think you need compartments, I don't.
I believe compartments create dead spots, and make maintenance difficult.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Could you by any chance give me a tutorial?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I made my sump from a 55g. With everyone’s help here, and my husbands help for the plumbing, it turned out great! I like my sump way better then hob filters. Those things are nothing but problems for me.

I’ll be watching your setup for saltwater. My husband said he thinks we should set up a saltwater tank. So I’m very interested to watch your process on getting set up! Best of luck!

Reactions: Davidiator

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The simple concept.
Water falls from the tank by gravity into the sump. Either with an overflow box, or by drilling tank.
I prefer drilling because it is less likely to fail, in in the long term, less expensive, I have drilled at least 8 tanks with the same bit.
Entering the sump water passes thru mechanical media. I like filter socks, easy to pull and rinse

In the sump is biological media. Can be anything from ceramic rings, sponges, Scubbies, to lava rock.

I like to put bio-media in mesh bags, easy to remove and rinse
The sump can also be a Refugium containing plants and lower animals (Caulerpa algae is great for salt water) that help process waste, and consume nitrate. Below is a 40 gallon planted sump/Refugium, during a water change.

Below same sump full, pic taken from the side

For salt water a protein skimmer is a given. DIY models are everywhere on the net.
Below is a video of the bio-fractionator I use on fresh water tanks and ponds.
koi pond fractionation
Fractionation helps lessen the need for water changes, one of the most on-going expenses of a salt tank, compared to fresh.
Sumps can also contain heaters, and other unsightly equipment.
And of course will hold the pump that sends water back to the tank.
One of the most important factors of a sumps, is placing it, and sizing it so maintenance is easy to do.
I often place them off to the side of a tank instead of directly under, to make it easy.
And when I use 50 gallon barrels for sumps the don't fit under allowing room for arms anyway.

In the photo above I have a DIY fluidized bed reactor to the left of the barrel sump, made of clear PVC.

Last edited:

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
see my one problem is i need it in the stand :/

I made my sump from a 55g. With everyone’s help here, and my husbands help for the plumbing, it turned out great! I like my sump way better then hob filters. Those things are nothing but problems for me.

I’ll be watching your setup for saltwater. My husband said he thinks we should set up a saltwater tank. So I’m very interested to watch your process on getting set up! Best of luck!
yeah sadly i dont think i will be setting one up till christmas time :(

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
see my one problem is i need it in the stand :/

yeah sadly i dont think i will be setting one up till christmas time :(
You can put it in the stand. Not everyone does, but that doesn’t mean you can’t. Mine is in the stand.

Tanks can take time. If I do get into salt it likely won’t be for a year or more. That will give me lots of time to read up.

Reactions: Davidiator
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store