DIY Supreme Aquamaster?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I wish I still had one of mine as well...it's nice to have a solid, physical reminder of how much better many things are today than they were back in the "good days".

Aquakings and Aquamasters were well-made, durable and solid; they moved a lot of water and lasted forever. They also used as much electricity as a chest freezer and sounded like an industrial wet/dry vacuum cleaner. The intake siphons were prone to being pummeled and pounded by big fish, which could cause them to lose their siphon and quickly result in the motor running dry and burning out with a gut-wrenching squeal. The exposed air-cooled motors required periodic lubrication; they were also frighteningly susceptible to being splashed when operating, or perhaps while fiddling with the siphon-starting procedure. Again, these were air-cooled motors, totally unsealed, with the windings clearly visible inside the open housing. Can you spell "electrocution"?

If a manufacturer tried building and selling this design today...as an aquarium filter, used inches away from flowing water...they would be sued and regulated into submission before the first truckload left the factory.

Yeah, it would be cool to still have one sitting on a shelf for the sake of nostalgia...but that would be its only appeal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store