DIY tank

Stingingrays

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
www.myspace.com
I am looking to build a 88X43X15" tank and I need to know should the side glass go on the top or side of the bottom piece of glass?

I am still just planning this for right now, my dad who is an engenieer told me to give him all my "numbers" then he would figure out all the technical stuff for me.

He said to ask on here is you guys knew is the side go on top or side of the bottom piece of glass.

Thanks for the input.

jem454

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
buffalo
Tank Information:

Material = Glass
Tank Height = 15"
Tank Width = 43"
Tank Length = 88 "
Glass Thickness = 1/4"
Approximate Gallons = 246

Cut List:

Bottom = 87 1/2 " x 42 1/2"
Front = 88 " x 15"
Back = 88 " x 15"
2 Sides = 15 " x 42 1/2"
Top Front/Back brace = 87 1/2 " x 2"
Top Sides brace = 42 1/2 " x 2"

[SIZE=+0]Additional[/SIZE] Materials

[SIZE=+0]
1. Tube of aquarium grade silicone
2. Tape or clamps for holding the peices in place
3. Solvent for clean up.
4. Rags/Paper towels for clean up.
5. 1/4 inch wooden dowels.
[/SIZE]Getting Started

Lay bottom, front, back and side pieces out on a large flat surface.

Cut the 1/4 inch dowels slightly shorter than the length of the bottom. Place the dowels under the bottom piece of glass. It is important that the weight of the aquarium is supported by the front, back and sides. There should never be any support under the bottom glass as this could fracture it.
Run a bead of silicone along all edges of the bottom glass. (these are the edges that will seal with the front, back, and side glass)
Carefully place all pieces in place surrounding the bottom piece. All contacting surfaces should have a bead of silicone.
Use tape or clamps to hold the pieces in the correct position. When using silicone you will have plenty of time to make adjustments. Silicone can become a gooy sticky mess so you should keep the material and work area as clean as possible.
Once all pieces are correctly positioned, let the aquarium set for 24 hours. After the silicone has cured, it is time to add the glass to the top. This piece of glass makes the sides stronger so the glass does not bow when the tank is filled. Let the tank cure in a warm room for 72 hours before you fill it with fresh water. If there are any leaks you can apply an additional bead of silicone to the inside seam.

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
the ge I(and ge II) silicone that you get at and doit yourself store is the same thing FYI... it even says Aquarum safe on the back...

Also 1/4 seems a bit thin for the glass, any way you can go thicker???, if not it might just be enough, but at that thickness i would go with braces every 12" across the top other wise it will flex too much, also makes it easyer to add a glass canopy if you want one...

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
portabuddy;800346; said:
Also 1/4 seems a bit thin for the glass, any way you can go thicker???,
I agree :) I do not trust that Garf info when it comes to certain gallons.. Even when aquarium builders build Acrylic tanks of similar dimensions they are using 1/2 inch acrylic, from what i've seen. But that is just me :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store