Do green severums eat small fish?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I’m having to temporarily move fish around and I have a 5.5” green severum and I want to put it in a 75 with a 3” bala shark and a 1.5” tinfoil barb. It’s gonna be for about 3-4 months. Judging from his mouth and how he eats, I don’t think he would eat them but has anyone that’s kept green sevs have an opinion?
Thx

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I think your fish will be fine. I did have a green severum years ago and he was kind of a jerk but anything bigger then a neon he didn't eat. He beat a few fish up though. He was boss and let everyone know it including the Oscars.
That’s how mine is, he doesn’t do any damage to anything, just maintains the dominant position in the hierarchy. I guess I’ll know if it will work since I just made the move lol
Thanks for the input

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I had a severum and a skinny knife together for a few months and he never messed with the knife besides the occasional nip even though he could have fit him in his mouth if he really tried.

Jacob92677

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
South Orange County CA ?? USA ??
I’m sure you’ll be fine
But I have a 2-3 inch green Severum in a 125 with a 7inch arrowana, 3 inch dat , and a 9 inch gar
All living happy for someTime as grow outs
Then I add a small pima and the green severum would not stop picking on the small pima, Pima is maybe 6 inch after 2 days of watching this
I decided to pull severum into Another tank to let the pima settle In without any added stress from severum Don’t think he would of done much physically harm to him But he really seemed to be stressing out the Pima I’d just say keep a eye out when the lights go off But they usually are peaceful

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Tha
I’m sure you’ll be fine
But I have a 2-3 inch green Severum in a 125 with a 7inch arrowana, 3 inch dat , and a 9 inch gar
All living happy for someTime as grow outs
Then I add a small pima and the green severum would not stop picking on the small pima, Pima is maybe 6 inch after 2 days of watching this
I decided to pull severum into Another tank to let the pima settle In without any added stress from severum Don’t think he would of done much physically harm to him But he really seemed to be stressing out the Pima I’d just say keep a eye out when the lights go off But they usually are peaceful
[/QUOTE
Thanks, I’m doing this for a similar reason, I wanted to add a tinfoil and a bala to one of my tanks but they were to small. I had a 3” buttikoferi in the 75 and I didn’t think he was mean yet since I sometimes put agro peacocks in there on time out for a couple days, the butti immediately tried to kill the bala and barb so i moved the butti to the tank with the severum and the severum was ruthless on the butti . So far the severum is ignoring the bala and barb. So hopefully this works long enough to grow them out. I think I have a few months before the butti gets too agro. I know the 75 is too small for the butti, when he hits around 10” I’m getting him something bigger.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I’m having to temporarily move fish around and I have a 5.5” green severum and I want to put it in a 75 with a 3” bala shark and a 1.5” tinfoil barb. It’s gonna be for about 3-4 months. Judging from his mouth and how he eats, I don’t think he would eat them but has anyone that’s kept green sevs have an opinion?
Thx
My blue/green severum Chip was a major a hole, but was pellet raised. He was a hefty heater with decent sized mouth though. Cubed blackworm was one of his favorites but nothing live. Unfortunately his aggression was the end of him and I wonder if 'greenies' are more fiesty. In any case he was low on the totem pole in a Goon tank but kept starting fights. Made it to 8" and definitely could have eaten smaller fish. He annoyed one of my parrots and was banged around. My O was fed up and ended the 'war' by biting the severum's head.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joshuakahan

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Severums are omnivores with a tendancy toward being vegetarian the older they get, and are fairly inept as predators, so if they do go after something, the prey tend to be slow, easily picked up things like insect larvae and worms.
They of course will not turn down a quick source of protein, in the form of small fish if its cornered.
If your tank is less than 100 gallons, there is not much escape room, so even with them being inept, chances are slim to none for clean getaway as a small fish.
In a larger tank, tank chances are far better for fish like small tetras.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store