Do hardy water lilies need a dormant period?

c_scherer123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2008
AB, Canada
Do hardy water lilies need a dormant period where they just rest? The indoor pond is always a temp where the lilies will grow; do I need to remove it for 3 months every year so it can 'rest'?
I know most native plants around my location die if they cannot go dormant, they just seem to burnout, but the hardy water lilies are definitely not native to here...
How do these plants behave in a much warmer, southern location where temps don't drop below 70F? (70F sounds nice considering it was -40 here a few weeks ago...).

OldMarine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2010
Tacoma, WA
www.picasaweb.google.com
I have to assume that you your lilies indoors. I can't answer your question about if they need a dormant period or not, but mine seem to do quite well in my back yard pond all year around. I'm in Tacoma, WA, and we may get temps dowm into the teens F from time to time.

I have never grown tropical lilies, but I'm sure one would have better results growing them in a indoor pons or large aquarium.

Happy ponding,

Rich

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
The size of the pads will tell you...

Are they still growing new pads that are full size?
Do the new pads look good, just small and say close to the pot?
Are the blooming?
When was the last time they were repotted?
What kind of fish reside w/them?

djm5222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
Wisconsin
My water lilies do very, very well with a dormant period. I'm not exactly sure if they need it or not. But mine have grown bigger and better for the past 3 years I have had them. So I would look around some more and if you can't find answers. Take into your own opinion like said up above. Do they grow more pads? Do their flowers last longer, and Grow Back?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store