Do I need more filtration?

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I would do the opposite, I would up the water changes. Several consecutive large changes and I would think that would clear things up

With a large bio load clean water is always good
Water changes are great however if he doesn't find the reason for the bacterial bloom all you'll be having is bacterial blooms in new freshwater. The main object of a water change unless your gravel vaccing to remove detritus is to reduce Nitrates and stabilize KH values. Granted freshwater never hurts ..

Reactions: Dis

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Well after thinking my tiles were too tight together to let detritus get under them I lifted them today and it was full of crap underneath.. tiles are out, sand is in and an 80% water change done. Waiting for the water to clear after adding the new sand then I'll see if that was the problem.

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Are the tiles glued down and sealed ? I was surprised how much gunk was under my tiles in my 240.. anaerobic bacteria can form in stagnant water .. how long between canister cleanings .? may sound strange but I knew a guy who kept his cainsters too clean... . I know you dont want to hear this maybe your overstocked based upon your bio capacity ? GL.. once Ive ruled out potential sources , Id skip a water change and let it cycle through .. Id just monitor AMM and dose with prime daily as needed.
Good call on the tiles by the way, since I took them out and vacuumed the substrate, added sand and added filter floss to my 2 cannisters it had cleared up alot already.

Reactions: Dis
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store