Do i really need a heater?

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
Hello, I am setting up a 29 gallon tank with sailfin mollies caught in the river 6 blocks away in SW Florida. We don't keep our house very cold at all. They are native, do I need a heater. I have had one 3 inch male in a 5 gallon about 10 days with no heater, he is doing fine (other than being cramped in a small tank)

My 29 gallons arrives tomorrow.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I've kept various mollies, swordtails, platies and guppies without a heater and had no issues.

Reactions: Kris P Bacon

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
That would depend on the temp your house and your tank stays at. I'd be inclined to say in your case you'd probably be fine without. But heaters are cheap and good insurance just to make sure the tank doesn't get too cold.

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
That would depend on the temp your house and your tank stays at. I'd be inclined to say in your case you'd probably be fine without. But heaters are cheap and good insurance just to make sure the tank doesn't get too cold.
I guess I will put one in before winter time, it can get cold in our little block house, wont be a problem till probably December.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I guess I will put one in before winter time, it can get cold in our little block house, wont be a problem till probably December.
Just make sure to add a little ocean salt to the water (or just get a couple buckets of water from catch location), as mollies like a little salt in their water long term

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
Fed Ex broke my dad gum tank:mad: The retailer offered me a refund or another tank, I want the tank dam it!
Expected delivery is Tuesday:mad: Was supposed to be here today. If they break this one too, I will just get a refund and look for a used tank. I want a decent sized tank but $ is limited

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Fed Ex broke my dad gum tank:mad: The retailer offered me a refund or another tank, I want the tank dam it!
Expected delivery is Tuesday:mad: Was supposed to be here today. If they break this one too, I will just get a refund and look for a used tank. I want a decent sized tank but $ is limited
That stinks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store