Do IT's eat plants?

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Got a question-kept Dats for years but never in a tank with live plants. I've some Java Fern and Anubias on my driftwood in my tank which have been there for months. Not long after I added a 10" or so IT I began waking up in the morning and finding big chunks taken out of the Anubias-sometime sll the leaf is gone leaving just the stem. The Java fern is left untouched. It's only happened since the introduction of the IT. The tank houses smaller NTT and AT and some Polys and a Fire Eel. These have been there for months together with the plants

Are they known for this as I always thought they wouldn't be interested in plant matter?

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
K krichardson

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
K krichardson
......cant say I've ever caught any of my dats eating any vegetation nor have I noticed any evidence of such activity.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
......cant say I've ever caught any of my dats eating any vegetation nor have I noticed any evidence of such activity.
Absolutely-it’s crazy because I’ve never come across it with Dats. Just my luck as the Anubias was established and started to do well

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Absolutely-it’s crazy because I’ve never come across it with Dats. Just my luck as the Anubias was established and started to do well
Sorry about your plants,that would certainly bother me.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
It is possible a Dat is eating the plant. It could of been torn off cleanly from one of their chases. Mixing dat species can lead to bullying. I’ve had indos that would eat algae wafers. Other members have mentioned this as well.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
From my experience with Senegalus Bichir the poly's would nip and actually witnessed one of them test tasting a Anubias leaf lol. So wouldn't rule out the Polypterus.

Reactions: Vancouver_98683

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
It is possible a Dat is eating the plant. It could of been torn off cleanly from one of their chases. Mixing dat species can lead to bullying. I’ve had indos that would eat algae wafers. Other members have mentioned this as well.
I see-its definitely lcean bites on the leaves

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
Ran through some Indonesian fishing videos, local knowledge from fishermen and resident fish enthusiast claim that Datnoid switch to plant matter as part of their supplementary diet in the wild.

Came to no surprise as to what happen to your plants after introducing the Dat.

I have no scientific evidence for this claim.

And yes i do feed my Dat the occasional Algae wafers and herbivore diet ever since. Mine feed strictly on carnivore pellets so there are no problems introducing green pellets.

Reactions: Vancouver_98683
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store