Do knife fish sleep on their sides?

Lund

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
Michigan
When I last looked at my black ghost knife, it was laying perfectly still on it's side. I was freaking out! I thought I lost it. But then I noticed it's fins starting to move, and then it got up and started swimming like normal. Is this a behavior I should be concerned about? Or is it normal for black ghost knifes?

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005
americas wang
totally normal and common, dont worry

Lund

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
Michigan
That's good to hear. I thought I remembered hearing this before, but wasn't sure if I did. Thanks for putting my fears to rest. I just got the little guy, and am hoping he will live a long time and get huge.

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
Yep, the norm. I love BGKs, they're weirdos :screwy:

Lund

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
Michigan
Weirdos they are. I feed mine blood worms and brine shrimp. I use a turkey bastor to feed it. I do this because I don't want the food to go everywhere in my tank. My ghost goes crazy when ever it sees the turkey baster go into the water. Cracks me up.

flagtailpc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
toronto ontario canada
Lund said:
Weirdos they are. I feed mine blood worms and brine shrimp. I use a turkey bastor to feed it. I do this because I don't want the food to go everywhere in my tank. My ghost goes crazy when ever it sees the turkey baster go into the water. Cracks me up.
sleeping on their side is only part of their sleepy-bye behavoiur.Currently my black ghost is in temporary accomadations on my bedroom floor(yes in a tank) and
although their are other choices he,she lays upside down, tail resting on gravel
face pressed up against the bottom of a fluval 3 intank filter and spends the day there in spite of darker places and the increased light levels,go figure.

Hakon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
Son, Norway
Yup thats normal. It's pretty common to all fish that they sleep. Every morning I find my angelfish at the bottom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store