Do pacu jump out?

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
I just moved my 3 pacu to a 10x 6 pool for the summer. Do I need to put a lid or sorts on it?

There is a single oscar in there with them too.

Reactions: tlindsey

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Others with experience may chime in on the jumping or protection against predators (cats?).
I would be concerned about the need to provide shade, as the sun could heat that up too high for fish happiness.
At the peak of the sun's position the tank is only about 1/3 in the sun. (At least right now, not sure how that will change as the season progresses.)

I pitty the poor cat that tries to mess with those fish! They were weighed on their way to the pool, 26, 25 and 20 lbs!! There is more than 70 lbs of pacu in that pool! I don't live in an area with Mtn lions or bear... nothing else is big enough!

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
At the peak of the sun's position the tank is only about 1/3 in the sun. (At least right now, not sure how that will change as the season progresses.)

I pitty the poor cat that tries to mess with those fish! They were weighed on their way to the pool, 26, 25 and 20 lbs!! There is more than 70 lbs of pacu in that pool! I don't live in an area with Mtn lions or bear... nothing else is big enough!
Lol well if it was out in the country side around here then ya might end up with some bigger cats like bobcat and mountain lion. Ik mountain lions they have no fear of water and love to drag 20+lb carp out of the rivers to snack on.

Worst things I could imagine with a backyard pond is just either having a random dog or kid trying to get into the pool. Personally I'd just keep a thin net over top of the pond just to keep debris out. With kids and pets I'd just keep an eye out for em.

Reactions: tlindsey

darkness975

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
irgendwo

We have both

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
I used to believe that pacus would not be jumpers. Then 2 summers ago I had my (2) two-footers out in my garage in a rubber maid pond temporarily. Against my better judgement I did not cover it at night. And I came out one morning and found 1 of my pacus on the floor gone. Very sad. I would definitely suggest a net or cover at least at night. Better safe than sorry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store