Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I would say they like to be in groups

K.O.D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2005
Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England
I would say yes, a couple of years ago I had a juvenile pair of Motoros and one died, then the male stopped eating, he didnt eat for 2 weeks until we put another female in there and he fed the same day, I think at a young age they are social animals. When you watch them interact with each as a group then also it leads to them being better on thir own
There is no science to that, just what I have observed

Booger

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2005
Hillsboro, OR
No. Rays are relatively primitive and do not have social needs aside from those absolutely neccessary for breeding. Their concerns are food and water quality. No amount of anthropomorphic observation can change that.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
I have found adult groups work well as long as there is only one male. My alpha male Dracula doesn't beat up other males.............HE KILLS THEM.

When they are young they do best in groups. Check out Frank's 550 full of stingray pups all sizes that he bred and how well they do in a group. Go to my basketball site below, then Something Fishy then MONSTER FISH TANK HALL of INSANITY. Franks is at the top.
Check out the crazy hamster tank in Germany at the bottom of the page.......WILD!!!!!!!!!!

Maria

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2006
Finland
I have a baby leo and I would like to get a baby motoro too .. Can they live in same tank? Should them both be female? Anyone.... :woot:

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Booger said:
No. Rays are relatively primitive and do not have social needs aside from those absolutely neccessary for breeding. Their concerns are food and water quality. No amount of anthropomorphic observation can change that.

This is incorrect information. Freshwater rays are highly social animals. A solitary ray won't live as long or lead as healthy a life as a group of rays.

Maria - They can live together quite well. Many here (including myself) keep multiple species together. As for your same sex question, (this is my opinion) a female pair would be best if keeping various species. A male / female pair could breed creating a hybird, which isn't the best way to preserve the captive DNA.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store