do u really need it ???

fishmaven

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2006
Houston, Tx
www.fishmaven.net
do u really need an reverse osmosis for a discus tank???
I think it would depend on the quality of water you have without it AND whether you want a fish tank with discus in it OR to breed your discus.

I see you've got 6 posts. As you wander around fish forums, this one or others, you'll see that the people that ask questions seem to never give ALL the info for the responders to use in developing their reply. Several days into the discussion something pops up and everyone says "where'd that come from? Why didn't you tell us that to begin with?"

I'm not trying to suggest that you'd sandbag us but many try to do so. <grin>

Dkarc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nope, not necessary....only 2 reasons why you would ever need an r/o unit. #1 your pH is above 8.2 (after it has aged/settled). #2 you are trying to get them to breed and their eggs to hatch. Discus can and will thrive in just about any pH. Water hardness doesnt matter unless you are trying to breed them. I know several breeders who's tap water is 8.0 and have sucess with their pairs trying to spawn at that pH! Only thing that is necessary in a healthy discus tank are 3 things. Good filtration, warm water (mid 80's) and above all, good water quality...which is maintained through frequent water changes. If you can satisfy those 3 things, then you can keep discus with ease.

-Ryan

brettrotchell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2006
Oakville
NOPE NOT NEEDED .I have 4 discus in my tank and as long as you watch them and do water changes once a week it will not be a problem . trust me my discus were $80.00 each i would not risk the money if i thought it would be a problem . they are great fish once they get used to there enviorment , just sit back :popcorn: and watch them swim most are shy at first and will hide but once they get comfortable they will come out and play .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store