Do you do any preventative treatments to your fish?

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I am curious how many mfk'ers use meds like prazipro as preventative treatment for your fish.

What are you looking to prevent?
What meds do you prefer to use?
How often do you treat?
Any success stories?

Since this is the first time keeping a wetpet (my GT names Kai), I decided I wanted to treat/prevent internal parasites. I am using PraziPro. After 4 days in Kai is acting completely normal, very active and still showing great color. Appetite is normal too. I plan to run for 2 weeks since the first week is going so well and it doesn't seem to phase him. I figure the second week is just some added security.

I don't plan to treat with anything else after thing and just continue with good care practices.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
It really depends on the fish in question, whether its wild caught or CB and what the conditions are like at the LFS / buyer they came from...

I tend to at the very least give my new fish a short bath in paraguard or something similar before going into the main tank since i dont have a hospital tank (i know thats bad)...

But normally i dont get new residents for my tanks either, so if anything goes wrong, i treat my main tank with all inhabitants to ensure it doesnt get passed to any other fish...

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I use MB, salt and prazi as a dip. If I don't qt it. If I do qt then I will just watch without meds for 4 weeks. Just ensure everything is ok.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Usually the only preventative I use is plain old salt which I add every couple water changes especially in the guppy tank. Generally speaking I quarantine any new guys in my old 10 gallon just to be safe.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I have had my GT for 5 months and everything has been fine, do you folks think I am being overly cautious or is this a smart move?
If your fish isnt showing signs of being sick, i personally would probably skip dosing meds, especially if you've had him for that long without any signs of a problem...

Usually the only preventative I use is plain old salt which I add every couple water changes especially in the guppy tank. Generally speaking I quarantine any new guys in my old 10 gallon just to be safe.
I wish i had space for a 2-3' hospital tank sometimes, but no space and most my fish wouldnt be happy in anything smaller lol...

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
There is a thread about using epsom salts dissolved in water, then soaking their food in this to help get internal parasites out

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
There is a thread about using epsom salts dissolved in water, then soaking their food in this to help get internal parasites out
The epsom salt is normally used to try and purge any remaining IP's during / after treatment ;)

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store