do you have messy oscars?

troutman54

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Michigan
This is my first time keeping o's and for the most part my 2 o's aren't really that messy, also they take big dumps that are easy scoop out. The only trouble I have is that they love pulling my live plants out so they had to be removed and I just have my pothos hanging over the edge with the roots in the water

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
This is my first time keeping o's and for the most part my 2 o's aren't really that messy, also they take big dumps that are easy scoop out. The only trouble I have is that they love pulling my live plants out so they had to be removed and I just have my pothos hanging over the edge with the roots in the water

Yes typical Oscar behavior lol.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Your tank is no longer yours, it's now theirs. They will arrange what ever you put in there how they want it.
When she hit one year old I got her a giant Amazonian sword mother plant. Over the next few months she ripped each and every leaf off.1365591

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
Floating plants are a good alt. It depends on the personalities of individual fish and how busy you keep them tho. I have one in a planted 125 and he has left everything alone. Now I did leave one side of the tank open. No wood or plants, just a sandy bottom with some smallish river stones. Laz dug a pit and rearranges the stones but doesn't bother the plants. He also gets a different toy every day. I'm sure if I let him get bored he will destroy everything lol1365597

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
LOL when I first read the title I thought "who doesn't?"

Biggest thing with my "8" O Brick are the logs he leaves...they're already the size of my pinky finger. I'm dreading what they'll look like when he's fully grown! :yuck:

He really only pulled at plants at about 3-4 inches then stopped after a week. Seems to prefer resting in floating pothos and slithering under/between plants near the bottom. At night he often disappears along the back wall under some plants. Does NOT like completely open spaces but likes overhead cover.

I've discovered he makes less mess eating now than when he was about 6". Large pellets he gulps whole and smaller pellets he inhales with his gob wide open.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Floating plants are a good alt. It depends on the personalities of individual fish and how busy you keep them tho. I have one in a planted 125 and he has left everything alone. Now I did leave one side of the tank open. No wood or plants, just a sandy bottom with some smallish river stones. Laz dug a pit and rearranges the stones but doesn't bother the plants. He also gets a different toy every day. I'm sure if I let him get bored he will destroy everything lolView attachment 1365597
I really love the transition of the stones spreading out to 'openess'. It adds horizontal depth, which most people don't utilize. Unique shelf shaped wood, too.

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
I really love the transition of the stones spreading out to 'openess'. It adds horizontal depth, which most people don't utilize. Unique shelf shaped wood, too.
I turned the wood with all the spikey bits down so Laz couldn't get poked on them but it also makes a good hide for the BN plecos and 12in sen bichir who also lives in this tank.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
never had luck with plants withoscars or any large cichlid for the matter that's why I have cardinal tetras in my planted tank my big cichlid tank is just gravel and large pieces of bogwood

troutman54

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Michigan
Floating plants are a good alt. It depends on the personalities of individual fish and how busy you keep them tho. I have one in a planted 125 and he has left everything alone. Now I did leave one side of the tank open. No wood or plants, just a sandy bottom with some smallish river stones. Laz dug a pit and rearranges the stones but doesn't bother the plants. He also gets a different toy every day. I'm sure if I let him get bored he will destroy everything lolView attachment 1365597
what toys do you give him? I tried a ping pong ball with my oscars and the nip it once and get scared of it lol

Reactions: Poseidon2.0
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store